Rose

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Dave 101

Rose

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

Pre WWII my maternal Grandfather was head gardner for a company called Eastleighs [ not sure if thats spelt correctly ] near Rochford , Essex . On the 23 rd of May 1928 the day my mother was born he was displaying Roses at the Chelsea Flower show , The company , through my Grandfathers work developed many new rose breads .
Then due to to WWII the roses had to go and the land was used for food production , I know the company went out of business after WWII but there are still some roses that bear the company name .
Just a bit of family history , today I have been working on one of my rose beds and accidently knocked this bud off , so I thought I would save it and share it with you .

Dave
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Rose

#2 Post by Christel »

Hybrid scented tea rose?
bobbob

#3 Post by bobbob »

Beautiful rose and a nice story. smile2
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

A similar story here:

My Grandfather worked for a major Chrysanthemum grower - Lowe & Shawyers, of which his half brother owned a small share. Wounded in 1917 in Palestine he needed the wound dressing several times every week, until 1966 and the nursery allowed him Paid time off for that two or three times a week.

One of his responsibilities was new cultivars - some were good, some were OK and others failed! He won several awards for them, but one of his best was in 1935 - a pure white single bloom which he named "Ruth" after my Grandmother. He carried on growing it at home for many years.

Unfortunately when my Grandmother died, her daughter-in-law decided to burn all of the old family paperwork without asking anyone else - all of the photographs and information on my Grandfathers lifelong successes was destroyed in just a few minutes.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.