A small discovery

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
R.G.C

A small discovery

#1 Post by R.G.C »

Not really a 'memory', but worth telling I think.

Some time ago, I was given a telescope fpund in an old house in the 'Corridor of Death' here.

Was in very good external condition but lookinh into it showed it was cmpletely fogged inside. I put it apart and a recent other discovery made also in the 'Kessel' remind me of its existence and I went to take it in the basement to have an other look at it.

Looks quite modern, brpwn in colour with a 50mm objective; sliding adjustable ocular and a sliding sunshade. Very nice looking indeed.

On close inspection, a small oval plate drew my attention and the date '1942'.

Excited, went to the video magnifier, to read:

Telescope, observation, M4
Bausch & Lomb OPT.CO.
Rochester, NY, U.S.A
SER. NR. 801
1NS. BY. R.L.9

Ocular is marked 19,5 X

An Email to Art Neergaard (Shooting sight) sent yesterday attracted an immediate reply with the following link:
http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthrea ... -nra-model

The scope is the one represented on chapter 8 of the Technical Manual.

My guess is that it belonged to one artillery observers directing the Long Toms firing from over the hill in the Kessel.

Unfortunately, I do not have the original tripod.

I will manage to have it cleaned for my daughter to use it as spotting scope. Not as good as her actual german one, but certainly the most venerable of the whole Ce,tury firing line....70 years old and looking almost as new....with probably an history..
R.G.C
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: A small discovery

#2 Post by saddler »

Corridor of Death eh?
Been there a few times on my regular jaunts to Normandy

I have the WW2 Technical Manual for the US Spotting Scopes, M48 & M49 - yours sounds to be a very similar beast

While I dont have a spare tripod I am always on the look for them.

DID have 2 of the WW2 leather carry cases too - until a relationship split = they were both in the attic & I never saw them again...which given their rarity was quite annoying....
The more modern (50's) laminted type cases sometimes come up for sale - and the modern plastic cases are easy to find

Will be interested to see pics of the one you found - and they were NOT just an artillery item - I collect them as part of my WW2 US Sniper rifle package/accessories
R.G.C

#3 Post by R.G.C »

saddler wrote:Corridor of Death eh?
Been there a few times on my regular jaunts to Normandy

I have the WW2 Technical Manual for the US Spotting Scopes, M48 & M49 - yours sounds to be a very similar beast

While I dont have a spare tripod I am always on the look for them.

DID have 2 of the WW2 leather carry cases too - until a relationship split = they were both in the attic & I never saw them again...which given their rarity was quite annoying....
The more modern (50's) laminted type cases sometimes come up for sale - and the modern plastic cases are easy to find

Will be interested to see pics of the one you found - and they were NOT just an artillery item - I collect them as part of my WW2 US Sniper rifle package/accessories
Sadler
Thanks for the clarification.
Will have pics taken to morrow.
The TM is 9-575
http://carl.army.mil/wwIItms/TM9_575_1942.pdf PAGES 12,13 AND 14

Yes, I live in the Corridor, overlooking the Memorial..BTW, the commemoration of the battlz iq Saturday PM

R.G.C
ShootingSight

#4 Post by ShootingSight »

Robert,

Regrettably, if it is foggy, it is very likely glass fungus that lives on the glass, and excreets acid (I suspect similar to what I do after a particularly spicy vindaloo), which etches the glass surface. Re-polishing is expensive, and destroys any surface coatings, so likely I see two options:

1. clean with a very alkeline glass cleaner or ammonia to neutralize any acid, and hope for the best.
2. look for surplus glass. I know of a surplus place that has a lot of WWII binocular parts, possibly they can be found there, if this scope was made in sufficient numbers. Alternatively, we measure the lenses and find modern equivalents, hoping that the more complex prism is not the problem.

PS M4 is also the M48

Art