Service rifle match at Bisley, 6th Jan

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Service rifle match at Bisley, 6th Jan

#51 Post by Strangely Brown »

Mr Bowcat wrote: I forget who he said made it. The serial number is BAR something, so maybe it's a Browning?
Yes, probably a Browning.........

I'm using an AI (AEMkIII) this time round with a 20" barrel, I finished competing in historic a couple of years ago.
Mick
Mr Bowcat

#52 Post by Mr Bowcat »

Sorry old boy, I don't know what type of rifle that is. Sounds awfully grand. Are you from one of the colonies?
Strangely Brown

#53 Post by Strangely Brown »

Mr Bowcat wrote:Are you from one of the colonies?
Not quite; my great grandfather (Muckerghee) was born in Cawnpore and came over as a catering manager with an infantry regiment of the line when they returned to Aldershot in 1921.
Mick
Mr Bowcat

#54 Post by Mr Bowcat »

What a fantastic heritage, you must be very proud. Is your picture from It Isn't Half Hot Mum? I remember watching that when my children were younger and home from school for the holidays, we did chuckle. smile2
Strangely Brown

#55 Post by Strangely Brown »

Mr Bowcat wrote:What a fantastic heritage, you must be very proud. Is your picture from It Isn't Half Hot Mum? I remember watching that when my children were younger and home from school for the holidays, we did chuckle. smile2
Yes I used to enjoy it to, although my grandparents would often jump and look over their shoulders when the Sgt Major shouted at the Punkah Wallah, I think it reminded them of home.
Mick
Mr Bowcat

#56 Post by Mr Bowcat »

Yes, Windsor Davies, wonderful actor. I met him once at a charity bash. "SHUT UP!!!" :lol:
Mr Bowcat

#57 Post by Mr Bowcat »

Well I'm terribly sorry chaps, but I will not be able to make it to Bisley this weekend. Mrs Bowcat and daughter number 2 have a meeting with the Horticultural Society on Sunday, so one is to be left in charge of the grandchildren whilst they are out. What fun!

Is there another CSR meeting this year that I might attend? It would be so good to meet you all, especially Michael.
Pmag

#58 Post by Pmag »

Hi all
Ive just found this thread, but im new here so everythings new.
I went to a CSR match last year and it looked really great.
Someone lent me a gun and I shot a couple of stages, i would of liked to of shot some more but I had to go.

Lots of nice guns and lots of Picadilly rails too
Strangely Brown

#59 Post by Strangely Brown »

Bowcat & Pmag, yes we would love to see you both at the next CSR meeting, here are the dates for this year including the Imperial.

6th Jan
2nd Feb
3rd March
6th April
26-30 June (Imperial)
5th Oct
3rd Nov
7th Dec

Both of you let me know when you can make it and I'll provide tiffin on the day, my aunties bhaji's are an absolute delight to sample!
Mick
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#60 Post by Gaz »

Reading the rules for the 2nd Feb shoot (which I fully intend coming to!), it says “Any SMLE / No. 4 / No. 5 rifle, service pattern as issued, with no attachments”. Obviously this is to exclude bayonets (boo! but a sensible precaution for the rundowns) but does this exclude slings as well?
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.