Shooting Tips

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

HALODIN

Shooting Tips

#1 Post by HALODIN »

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere here, but I did have a look and couldn't find anything. Anyway... I've been shooting for about 9 months now and I seem to have hit a wall with improving my accuracy and on my quest for answers I discovered what is quite probably the most common shooting error that I'd never heard of, "canting." It got me wondering if there were any others out there. I'm not after the really obvious stuff, but is there anything else that might help reduce [shooter|gun] induced errors?

I have to say this is an excellent article if you're interested in the mechanics of canting.

http://www.riflescopelevel.com/cant_errors.html
whoowhoop

Re: Shooting Tips

#2 Post by whoowhoop »

One that springs to mind is not following through.
I think more common in live quarry shooting than target, but equally a problem in both rifle and shotgun.
It is caused by lifting the head to see if the target is hit, rather than keeping the head still.
Generally a lack of confidence in the shooters ability.
Very difficult to cure.
Well, for me, anyway.
AL8

#3 Post by AL8 »

When using a gun on a moving target, the gun should keep moving forward as the trigger is pulled otherwise you will miss behind.Its something I have trouble with sometimes as I shoot shotguns and rifles.
The cure is plenty of practice. Use a corner or object indoors(nothing living), and mount the gun and swing through it. As you get to the corner pull the trigger but keep the gun moving. It then becomes second nature
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I wouldn't necessarily agree with canting as an absolute problem, its more an inconsistent gun mounting and eye, sight, target alignment issue.

Canting a vertically aligned sighting system will throw you off target just as much as vertically sighting a canted sighting system will throw you off target.

We usually teach vertical alignment as this is one we can read and repeat most easily, however a lot of top shooters shoot canted as it gives them a better position and the are able to repeat the cant each time. Most of my scopes have a cant to them but when I look through them they are vertical because of my hold.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is always worth heading back to the basics such as the 'scope itself have you got the correct eye relief, parallax adjustment and focus. Do you have a repeatable cheek position and are getting behind the rifle in the correct position. If you shoot with a bipod are you using it correctly, what about trigger control.

Then you have other variables like ammunition and wind reading. What is the rifle, what distances do you shoot at and is it at targets or live quarry?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
John MH

#6 Post by John MH »

Lots of dry firing will improve your shooting.
whoowhoop

#7 Post by whoowhoop »

Consistency, consitency, consistency.
Whatever it is you do, it must be consistent and repeatable.
Faults are easier to correct if they are repeated.
Better to get a consistent group on the card which can then be centred than to try to alter after each shot
Mikaveli

#8 Post by Mikaveli »

Try shooting a gun more difficult to shoot accurately with. Something with a harsher trigger pull, a bit lighter so it doesn't absorb recoil so well...

The reason being, it'll be very obvious if you're not doing something well - a poor hold or a slight snatch etc. Using a very accurate, heavy target rifle with a light trigger will instantly improve your groups, but all the little things you're doing wrong will still be there - just more difficult to spot.
EagerNoSkill

#9 Post by EagerNoSkill »

good tips above

ADD

let a competent shooter watch what you are doing...

They are likely to see elements within your setup execution and follow through that will influence your accuracy.

I am at Bisley tomorrow morning at 800 yards ..... more than happy to watch you pull a few shots off.

Though my competence may be questioned . kukkuk kukkuk :roll: ... my luck and exuberance cant! :lol:
EagerNoSkill

#10 Post by EagerNoSkill »

You are part of a firing system

1. Weapon
2. Sights / Optics
3. Ammunition
4. Environment
5. Fleshy confused thingy!

Make sure you ID the right problem and the right cause - since it cant get VERY confusticating very quickly