Shooting Tips

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: Shooting Tips

#21 Post by HALODIN »

Sorry I've completely misjudged the group, it looked much bigger through the scope... :lol:

I just found one from last week and the group is much smaller than 4", it's between 2-3cm, but I'd still appreciate any advice how to tighten it up. I suppose my presumption is that if the rifle is bagged front and back, I'd expect the results to be more consistent.
Attachments
Anschutz match 54 @ 100 yards RS Match gold.JPG
Ovenpaa

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

If this was shot at 100 yards then the top right seems to be mostly spread by the wind and verticals are around an inch, I am not a 22LR shooter so I am not sure what to expect accuracy wise so to me this looks quite reasonable.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HALODIN

#23 Post by HALODIN »

I'd agree it isn't bad, but I have high expectations of myself, I always like to strive for more. At 25 yards, they pretty much all go through the same hole, I expected similar results @ 50 yards and then 100 yards with practice and I don't feel like I've met my expectation.

I'd be interested to know if the grouping would be improved with a different combination of rifle and/or scope.
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#24 Post by 20series »

The test record at Eley for their top grade Tenex is something like fourty shots in a 13.9 mm group, that being shot in a 50mtr tunnel range with a match quality rifle in a dummy stock which is clamped to a heavy vice rig bolted to the floor..

Alan

edit taken from their website..

Range Records:
November 2008
Best 40 x shot consolidated group = 13,90mm by Rajmond Debevec Olympic shooter from Slovenia
Rifle: Feinwerkbau 2700
Batch Selected: 1008-04235
Best 40 x shot consolidated score = 426,1 by Rajmond Debevec Olympic shooter from Slovenia
Rifle: Feinwerkbau 2700
Batch Selected: 1008-04235
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
HALODIN

#25 Post by HALODIN »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, it sets a ceiling on what's possible. Do you know how their ammo compares with the RWS match gold ammo and is it reasonable to expect that group to open up by a factor of 2 if the distance is doubled?

Taking wind out of the equation and assuming the rifle was bolted to the ground, why doesn't the bullet go in the same hole each time? Is it just the variance in the powder, barrel harmonics, all of the above or something else?

Cheers,

Craig.
20series

#26 Post by 20series »

I always used the RWS R50, I found it to be very consistent batch to batch. I would assume that the gold match ammo is more for practice and plinking and will be less consistent in terms of quality.

I'll have a look in the ammo cupboard and see what I have kicking about.

The wind can massively effect a .22 bullet particularly at 100yards, so don't beat yourself up about getting flyers, if you're ever down the range when the small-bore guys are shooting you'll see them have several wind flags to help them get a consistent wind to shoot on.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
HALODIN

#27 Post by HALODIN »

I thought it was more or less top of the line ammo, but looking on RWS's website I can see there's much better, thanks for the prompt! They have RWS R 100 as well which seems specifically designed for up to 100m... Where can I buy 500 of these little fellas..? :grin:

http://rws-munition.de/en/sports/produc ... l#!0/266/0

Yes I thought Paul and Carl might be worth talking to, I just need to read up on how to [use|read] the flags.

Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help, higher precision ammo and wind flags have got to be the way forward.

Cheers,

Craig.
20series

#28 Post by 20series »

R100 is supersonic and as you say designed for longer range, personally I never used it because most smallbore ranges I used had velocity limits that prevented its use. Not sure where around us to get it from, you could try Fenland Rural Sports. Another decent ammo is Lapua Centre X I have a few boxes of that kicking about you are welcome to try! when are u likely to be at the club next!
HALODIN

#29 Post by HALODIN »

I was speaking with Ewan about supersonic ammo last week and he advised me to stay subsonic with the R50 even at 100 yards, because of what happens when it breaks the sound barrier. Maybe I'll buy 500 of the R50's and 100 of the R100's just to try them out. I'll have a word with Marcus/Dave and see if they'll order me some in. I've fired off an e-mail to FRS as well, I'm sure one of them will help me out.

I'm always up there on a Tuesday and Friday night and the odd Sunday, if you're at the range next Sunday I'll make sure I'm there. I might have my new rifle to show you if it turns up in time... :grin:
20series wrote:R100 is supersonic and as you say designed for longer range, personally I never used it because most smallbore ranges I used had velocity limits that prevented its use. Not sure where around us to get it from, you could try Fenland Rural Sports. Another decent ammo is Lapua Centre X I have a few boxes of that kicking about you are welcome to try! when are u likely to be at the club next!
20series

#30 Post by 20series »

OK Craig, I might make it up next Friday I'm fetching Debs from Stansted later in the evening so I might come up the club before heading off.

ooh new rifle sounds interesting clapclap clapclap

Alan