Cast loads couple questions.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1

Cast loads couple questions.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I am loading some 7.62x39 light loads for indoor use.

Question do you crimp your rounds after seating the boolit. I am thinking a light crimp using one of them Lee jobbies.
The 7.62x39 is actually .311 what is the correct M die to use for the .311 or what other type of expander does any one recommend.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Cast loads couple questions.

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

I use the Lee collet crimp die and not too fierce with the pressure.
Case trim to length is essential.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Crimp is an abomination and an affront to all things holy.

The only time crimp might be necessary is in strong recoiling underlevers, revolvers or automatics when there is a chance of bullets moving in the cases in the magazines. Or when ammunition would be exposed to rough handling as in a military context for example

A primary requirement of consistent ammunition is good bullet retention, if you have that then the crimp is redundant.

Crimp adds nothing to a cast boolit load, over works your brass and impedes the consistent functioning of you lube and usually deforms your boolit. Why would anyone want to do that to their ammunition?

A 31 M die for 311, the M die idea has yet to be improved upon and is copied in spirit by makers other than Lyman.

I usually have my M die spuds made to my specifications for each boolit diameter and case neck diameter to ensure that consistent boolit retention so necessary for accurate rounds.

I usually have my M die spuds turned to fit the Lee universal expander die body and use that as it means the spuds don't need to be threaded as they do for fitting to the Lyman bodies and shanks.

If you are having to crimp then all you are doing is hiding and ignoring a bullet retention issue and it will do nothing to improve that other than tenuously hold the boolit in place.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

What's an "M" die, ooman ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Mine is a 30M short its supposed to be for the 7.62x39 but it is obviously under sized for the .311 boolit hence my question If I use the M die as designed I am shaving lead off. To get the boolit to start with out shaving lead I have a excessive flair on the case. So were do I get a 31M die. Failing that who makes your spuds for you.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

Spuds ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I just had a rummage in my stuff I have a 31M die I will have another stab at it.

There is a previous post some were describing the Lyman M dies.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Lyman M die body:
opplanet-lyman-neck-expanding-m-die-for-9-3mm.jpg
opplanet-lyman-neck-expanding-m-die-for-9-3mm.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 771 times
M die spud:
standard M die spud drawing.jpg
standard M die spud drawing.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 771 times
"A" is typically 2 thou over boolit diameter.
"B" is typically 2 thou under boolit diameter
"C" is typically just over boolit seating depth

This is the drawing I use when ordering new spuds.

M die in action:
rifleDies_mdie.jpg
rifleDies_mdie.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Drawing is obviously exaggerated for illustrative purposes.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#9 Post by dromia »

Dave I would imagine M die spuds would be well within your workplace resources, there are no doubt people and equipment within your purview that would turn you out suitable spuds.

I'd love there to be someone in the UK who would do these spuds at a reasonable cost but as yet my search has been futile. :cry:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I will have a word on Monday when I go to work I would not mind one in .314. They would not be expensive to make. Depends what the thread is.
I need to buy a lathe hmmm one that will screw cut.

Anyway back to the thread I neck sized the cases to get rid of the flair then cut them all to the same length on my Wilson trimmer.
(Lovely piece of kit) I then flared the case mouths using a M1 die and bingo sorted I seated the primers.
I then dropped 4 grains of Vit 310 into each case. I then had a thought I wonder if I can use my LeWilson micrometre seating die with my Arbor press to seat the boolits with. The answer is yes I can I am well impressed.
I cleaned every thing afterwards with Edds red. A good afternoons work job done ready to rock and roll just need to get them to the range.