what type of apocalypse?

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dougan

Re: what type of apocalypse?

#11 Post by Dougan »

It's the fact that we've had such a stable climate for the last 10,000 years that's allowed our population to grow in the way it has - The Little Ice Age was nothing compared to what could happen in the next 100 years...then the Thames froze over for long periods, but life pretty much carried on as normal...where as at the moment hundreds of millions are been committed to increasing the size of the Thames Barrier...
Chuck

#12 Post by Chuck »

If the population numbers were at a level that were manageable then we would not have the hunger and riots simply because we would not have the extra people to cause it.

It's not the "extra people" it is their location and ways that are the problem.

In the past we had wars and diseases that thinned us out, not any more. We have irresponsible breeding and governments in some places and not enough responsibility in others. All this social engineering has not helped either.

Oh and lets not forget the sheer bloody mindedness in say Africa where Mugabe's followers destroyed farms and killed farmers, once the breadbasket it is now a sh1thole.

The religion of peace strikes again too: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/18/3 ... rmers.html
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Dougan

#13 Post by Dougan »

Chuck wrote:Overpopulation of the wrong areas is a factor. like breeding kids in a drought hit, food scarce part of the planet.
Not sure where you mean by 'wrong areas', but if you take Africa for instance - Overpopulation is a serious problem; but they are the ones suffering it - the overpopulation also damages the natural environment around them, which can cause problems for us all...

...However, An average child in England uses 10 times more resources (energy, food, materials etc.) than an average African child...in fact many western Europeans and Americans are using resources in an unsustainable manner...the irony being that many of the resources come from countries like Africa...
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

The UK is overpopulated, we do not need to look further than within our own borders. That overpopulation affects the whole country, not enough jobs, greenbelts being built on more and more, affecting the wildlife. Roads are mega busy.

There are too many people on this planet and that will in the end cause a breakdown. It doesn't matter about politics or greed or anything else apart from too many people, I would call politics and greed side effects, not the root cause of a breakdown.

7 billion and counting, during the last 60 years the world population has exploded compared to the growth prior to 1950 ish.

I know I have posted this link before... O:-)

http://populationmatters.org/
Sandgroper

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

Part of the problem with over population is that in poorer countries larger families are needed to ensure that children survive childhood so they can -

1) Work and earn money for the family,
2) And through work/education support other members of the family in old age.

As medical aid arrives in these countries more children survive which exacerbates the population problem.

On the plus side population trends in the developed world show a stable or even decreasing population growth.
Dougan wrote:It's the fact that we've had such a stable climate for the last 10,000 years that's allowed our population to grow in the way it has - The Little Ice Age was nothing compared to what could happen in the next 100 years...then the Thames froze over for long periods, but life pretty much carried on as normal...where as at the moment hundreds of millions are been committed to increasing the size of the Thames Barrier...
Disagree slightly. I would argue that looking at the temperature over such a large time frame would smooth out the results - giving the impression that it has been relatively stable. IMO agriculture, industry and medical advances are the main drivers for the increase in population.

My thoughts on climate change is that the earth's climate is cyclical but we have contributed to current situation - how much is the question? Part of the problem is that a debate is not allowed to form around this, it very much a case of, "You're either for us or against us."

What I find particularly disturbing is this quote from The Club of Rome who kick started all of this back in the late 60's.

“The common enemy of humanity is man.
In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up
with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming,
water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill. All these
dangers are caused by human intervention, and it is only through
changed attitudes and behavior that they can be overcome.
The real enemy then, is humanity itself."

To quote Mulder, "I want to believe" but my gut says that something isn't right. My environmental streak comes from a understanding that nature requires a balance to work. At the moment there isn't one but the Earth could quite easily kick back with a negative feedback mechanism (Climate change for example) that knocks us for a 6 and restores the balance. Equally, if we let things go as they are, sooner or later and equilibrium will be found - but will that Earth worth living in or will we be a part of it?

There has been mass extinction events in the pass and the Earth has soldiered on - maybe it's our turn and we are giving mother nature a hand?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
waterford103
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#16 Post by waterford103 »

christel wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Overpopulation is the main cause of global warming, hunger and riots
Well the last two are the fault of global economy, bankers, futures speculators and sheer greed.
If the population numbers were at a level that were manageable then we would not have the hunger and riots simply because we would not have the extra people to cause it.
I believe that the world is overpopulated by 50% , a reduction in the population over say the next ten years of said %0% would immediately benefit the planet .WHO'S FIRST TO GO ???

:wales: :flag6:
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Christel
Site Admin

#17 Post by Christel »

It is not a matter of "who is first to go", it is a matter of for instance not introducing IVF methods for over 90 year old women so they can have kids. Ok, I am exaggerating about the age... :roll:

It is a matter of adopting instead of keep having kids, maybe chose not to have kids.

Just because we can technology wise does not mean we have to.
Dougan

#18 Post by Dougan »

christel wrote:There are too many people on this planet and that will in the end cause a breakdown. It doesn't matter about politics or greed or anything else apart from too many people, I would call politics and greed side effects, not the root cause of a breakdown.
Sorry, but I don't think they're side effects - there'd be greed and politics if there were only two people left on the planet...it's part of human nature...

I agree with the rest though, including IVF, but don't want to get into that for fear of getting too controversial :squirrel:
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

Sandgroper wrote:Disagree slightly. I would argue that looking at the temperature over such a large time frame would smooth out the results - giving the impression that it has been relatively stable. IMO agriculture, industry and medical advances are the main drivers for the increase in population.
Yes; agriculture, industry and medical advances are what have driven the exponential growth of the last few hundred years...but it was the unprecedented stability (and of the right conditions) of the last 10,000 years that allowed us to stop being nomads and develop agriculture and industry in the first place.....

Interesting what you're saying about why some people in some countries want lots of kids (which is spot on) - A while back the Thai Government started a public information program, where they explained that the country was becoming overpopulated, and that they had the economy and technology to support it's people; but that people should have less children and concentrate on their education...it has actually worked, and Thailand's population is almost stable, with the quality of life, including good schools, improving.
Chuck

#20 Post by Chuck »

I agree with the rest though, including IVF, but don't want to get into that for fear of getting too controversial :squirrel:
Oh just go for it man, controversy is what's needed.... :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!