Powder Weight Accuracy

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

Powder Weight Accuracy

#1 Post by Stuck »

When measuring out powder how fastidious are you when loading for long range accuracy?

I have an RCBS chargemaster that for some reason doesn't always give the exact weight I'm calling for, for example tonight my powder load is 46.2GN of Varget, if the machine throws 46.3GN I'm throwing it back in the hopper.

Am I being overly anal or do you guys do this too?

Cheers,

Mick.
Infidel
phaedra1106

Re: Powder Weight Accuracy

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

My Hornady Auto Dispenser usually throws to -0g +.1g

With N140 I get about 5% of the charges overthrowing by an extra +.1g which works out at under .025% of the 41g target charge.

On the last batch I loaded I did 50 with the overcharged loads rejected and re-disspensed and 50 with the overcharges left in, at 100 & 200M (which is all I got to shoot at last weekend) there was no noticable difference in group sizes.

Given that I don't batch weigh my cases or bullets there's probably an equally good chance that they would also be affecting the grouping but as I can get 1/2MOA at 100M I'm quite happy with them.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

Given that I don't batch weigh my cases or bullets there's probably an equally good chance that they would also be affecting the grouping but as I can get 1/2MOA at 100M I'm quite happy with them.

That'll be the day - I've seen you shoot! lol
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
EagerNoSkill

#4 Post by EagerNoSkill »

Stuck wrote:When measuring out powder how fastidious are you when loading for long range accuracy?
I have an RCBS chargemaster that for some reason doesn't always give the exact weight I'm calling for, for example tonight my powder load is 46.2GN of Varget, if the machine throws 46.3GN I'm throwing it back in the hopper.
Am I being overly anal or do you guys do this too?
Mick.
I load to 0.02 grains so 47.00 or 47.02 effectively 1 grain of H4895
TARGETMASTER plus tuned RCBS BEAM SCALE confirmed on LAB scale that measures 0.016 grain or 0.001 grams

So not anal as long as rest of process supports the effort

ENS
European 2012 FTR Champion (November 2012 I had +- 112 very lucky shots in a row)
“F-Open shooters are compensating for something”
I make an awesome friend and even worse enemy.
phaedra1106

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

dodgyrog wrote:That'll be the day - I've seen you shoot! lol
Indeed you have, but that's only when I'm using your cast boolits :lol:

My Steyr SSG-04 will put Nosler 168 Custom Competion into 1/2MOA with ease, even with me behind the trigger :lol:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
ukrifleman

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

All my long range loads go into the scale, not powder measure; I try to get every charge identical.

I know it makes loading 50 rounds a pain, but I get the reward with consistancy.
ukrifleman.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I use a TARGET MASTER and a tuned Hornady scale fitted with a camera that displays on my lap top.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, that is a superb combination and short of spending another GBP2500 I doubt you can get a more accurate system that the Target master and a hand tuned scale from the same source.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes you are right Ovenpaa the best money I ever spent on any reloading gear its a cracking set up and incredibly accurate. I use a RCBS powder measure to drop the bulk of the charge then trickle the last few grains in using the target master its a superb piece of kit.
Maggot

#10 Post by Maggot »

I just use a little Gempro 250.

Works down to 1/200thGr.

My last tests across a chrono (only an 8 round string granted) showed an ES of 6...so something must be right...it certainly aint me sign85