Shift work

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

EDnSKY
Home club or Range: Bolton Gun Club

Shift work

#1 Post by EDnSKY »

Hi all,

sign85

I am looking for a club to join in my area (Bolton) and have done the usual searches and it brought a few up.

One thing I have noticed from reading the club's websites is that the range shooting seems to be carried out on the weekends only.

The problem I have is that I work shifts of 2 days 2 nights 4 off which means weekends for me only happen every 27/28 days and if the wife has got her funny head on then sometimes these free days are already booked up.

This would mean a very lengthy probation time before I could clock up the required amount of visits when becoming a full member.

Does anyone else in my area have the same problem or know of a club that can accommodate shooting throughout the week as well?

I realise that clubs are run by volunteers and most folk work Monday to Friday so weekends is the main off period.

sign92
Bernie
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

Re: Shift work

#2 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Hi Bernie,

Offas Dyke / FCSA do shoot midweek on occasion but their shoots are mainly at Warminster & Lydd which would probably be an issue for you.

Have you thought about joining a couple of clubs. When I started I did outdoor full bore once a month with my primary and also joined a second club for week night indoor rimfire and gallery shooting. As long as each knows which one is the primary club you should be fine. I can't advise on individual clubs local to you but it's something to consider.

Charlotte
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

#3 Post by Stuck »

EDnSKY wrote:Hi all,

sign85

I am looking for a club to join in my area (Bolton) and have done the usual searches and it brought a few up.

One thing I have noticed from reading the club's websites is that the range shooting seems to be carried out on the weekends only.

The problem I have is that I work shifts of 2 days 2 nights 4 off which means weekends for me only happen every 27/28 days and if the wife has got her funny head on then sometimes these free days are already booked up.

This would mean a very lengthy probation time before I could clock up the required amount of visits when becoming a full member.

Does anyone else in my area have the same problem or know of a club that can accommodate shooting throughout the week as well?

I realise that clubs are run by volunteers and most folk work Monday to Friday so weekends is the main off period.

sign92
Bernie
Bernie,

Check your PM's, the club I mentioned will be shooting mid week in the evenings once it's light enough to do so.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Mick.
Infidel
EDnSKY

#4 Post by EDnSKY »

Hi stuck,

I cannot use PM's I haven't got enough posts to enable it yet !!

If someone reads this could they do me a favour and PM stuck and ask him to post on this thread

sign92
Stuck

#5 Post by Stuck »

Bernie,

Look here:

http://www.boltongunclub.co.uk/Rifle.html

Ignore the range length & limits, the website is very out of date.

Contact Mark, he might talk you to death but he's a good guy very keen on helping out probationers.

ATB

Mick.
Infidel
EDnSKY

#6 Post by EDnSKY »

:cheers: Mick,

I'll give Mark a bell and have a chat. I was put off by the limits on the website but if they can accommodate a .308/.223 then we're in business.

sign92

Bernie
Stuck

#7 Post by Stuck »

EDnSKY wrote::cheers: Mick,

I'll give Mark a bell and have a chat. I was put off by the limits on the website but if they can accommodate a .308/.223 then we're in business.

sign92

Bernie
Yep,

Good for .308 & above even if for just zeroing bangbang
Infidel
londonercsecse
Home club or Range: Rossendale

#8 Post by londonercsecse »

Got same problem (working every weekend) :(
Miroku O/U, Mossberg 500 pump 12g.
EDnSKY

#9 Post by EDnSKY »

Just an update.

Will be off to Bolton Gun Club but cannot start until 2nd March due to work. Thanks to everyone for their help esp stuck
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I worked shifts for 20 years it did not stop me shooting just explain to the Club Secretary or the committee and in my experience it will not be a problem