Ammunition holding quantities

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

rox

Re: Ammunition holding quantities

#31 Post by rox »

DaveB wrote:We can also hold 15 kg of reloading propellant and 5 kg of black powder, in addition, before running afoul of the thresholds.
UK limit (without an explosives license) is also 15Kg of smokeless propellant - not sure of black powder.
DaveB wrote:For 'safety class' ammunition (1.4S) these limits are quite generous - some district plans permit 25 kg NEQ (net explosive quantity) or even 50 kg
It's certainly possible for individuals to get approvals for several thousands of a centre-fire calibre, and several tens of thousands of rim-fire. Beyond that people use clubs or RFDs for storage, or become an RFD. 25Kg NEQ is equivalent to approx 8,500 rounds of .308 I think, or about 4,000 of .308 plus 8,000 .223, so fairly generous, but not necessarily huge.

dave_303

#32 Post by dave_303 »

rox wrote:
DaveB wrote: UK limit (without an explosives license) is also 15Kg of smokeless propellant - not sure of black powder.

When I was an English Civil War Re-enactor the powder supply for the 40 odd muskets and 3 cannons were stored by the Regiment's Colonel and one of the Sergeants. Apparently each was allowed to store 20Kg of Black powder. It could have been more.
Eny

#33 Post by Eny »

Looks like i started a bit of debate with what i thought would be a simple question. Why is nothing ever simple :lol:

Halodin
You asked somewhere why back in the thread about what i would fill the slots with. Not fully decided yet, but think the 22's will be something like a bolt action CZ and am quite liking the look of some of the stuff that Suffolk Rifle has. Then again i am also liking the Lantac Raven. Decisions decisions tongueout O:-)
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#34 Post by HALODIN »

If you like the look of black tactical stuff, give this bloke a ring, he has some real bargains sometimes.

http://www.amsfirearms.co.uk

Happy hunting. :good:
Eny wrote:Looks like i started a bit of debate with what i thought would be a simple question. Why is nothing ever simple :lol:

Halodin
You asked somewhere why back in the thread about what i would fill the slots with. Not fully decided yet, but think the 22's will be something like a bolt action CZ and am quite liking the look of some of the stuff that Suffolk Rifle has. Then again i am also liking the Lantac Raven. Decisions decisions tongueout O:-)
Jackmanuk
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms / Grove

#35 Post by Jackmanuk »

IainWR wrote:
Jackmanuk wrote: there isn't anything in the home office guidelines about ammo amount so its all guess work
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... v_2013.pdf

See paras 13.54, 13.60 and 13.84-13.93 in particualr. There probably are others.

ah yes 13.54 ..... i remember now , i did look at the new guidlines ....... must of been where i got the idea for 1000 rounds from tongueout
Jackmanuk
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms / Grove

#36 Post by Jackmanuk »

it used to be if the FEO didnt specify the amount of BP you can store it was the normal max of 15kg , ( cause the gun shop rang up the Home office to check, and got grumpy cause he could only have 5 kg in the shop) , but its not like you need 15 kg of BP and I would certanly not want all that in my house ..... i dont want to level the entire road if i house catches fire
Eny

#37 Post by Eny »

HALODIN wrote:If you like the look of black tactical stuff, give this bloke a ring, he has some real bargains sometimes.

http://www.amsfirearms.co.uk

Happy hunting. :good:
There's some nice looking stuff on there. Just as well i have an understanding bank manager :lol:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#38 Post by dromia »

See here for the "new" powder limits which you ammunition is included within.

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6076

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
markyw
Home club or Range: RMRPC, Reigate

#39 Post by markyw »

I put 1500 for .22LR and 500 for each of the others on my last variation and had no trouble. I think, as mentioned previously, it is about reasonable use. If you are a club member you are more likely to get through rounds than if you are 'just' a stalker.

This is somewhat rue for slots on ticket too, as I was told that as long as the range was cleared for the calibre there wouldn't be too many objections on what I asked for.

Regards

Mark
SevenSixTwo

#40 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I asked for 2000 of each calibre: "cuz suppliers might run out".

Granted without ado.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".