Ammunition holding quantities

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: Ammunition holding quantities

#11 Post by HALODIN »

6 firearms and 3+ moderators on your initial grant is perfectly reasonable IMO. So you could add a .223/5.56, an LBR, an under-lever or something else. Just so you're aware, if you put .308/7.62, usually that only entitles you to .308 win/7.62x51 (NATO), so you wouldn't normally be able to buy something chambered in 7.62x39, 7.62x54R etc, although all authorities slightly differ.

What are you planning to fill your slots with?
Eny wrote:I have now been signed off probation by my club and am just waiting for my membership card :grin:
In the process of filling out my FAC application form.

I will be requesting to start off with:
2 x .22 RF
1 x .308/.762
1 x .357/.38

Do these ammunition requests sound reasonable?
.22 hold 1,200
.308/.762 hold 300
.357/.38 hold 500

Thanks
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#12 Post by DaveB »

I had forgotten just how repressive the regime in UK is. Glad that we don't have such restrictive limits on what we can hold for ammunition. I never like to have less than 1,000 rounds of each calibre and double that at least in .22 RF.
Blu

#13 Post by Blu »

DaveB, I was speaking with my mate in Auckland last night about the cost of reloading components in NZ and looking at some of the NZ web pages. Have to say that you folks down there pay through the nose for reloading stuff. Don't know if this website is typical of the costs, but jeez those prices!

http://www.guncity.com/303-xidg28404.html

Blu :twisted:
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#14 Post by Demonic69 »

HALODIN wrote: Just so you're aware, if you put .308/7.62, usually that only entitles you to .308 win/7.62x51 (NATO), so you wouldn't normally be able to buy something chambered in 7.62x39, 7.62x54R etc, although all authorities slightly differ.
That's what I put on mine, the FEO changed it to "7.62 rifle" and they're happy for me to have anything covered by that.
Eny wrote: I will be requesting to start off with:
2 x .22 RF
1 x .308/.762
1 x .357/.38

Do these ammunition requests sound reasonable?
.22 hold 1,200
.308/.762 hold 300
.357/.38 hold 500

Thanks
That's exactly what I requested, though I changed the .357 to a section1 shotgun while I was waiting.
I asked for 600x7.62 but was knocked down to 300 and 1100 .22.

Good luck with it!

I don't read my own signature!
Dombo63

#15 Post by Dombo63 »

Good reason to hold a greater number could be for competitions, where you want ammunition of the same batch for consistency. I asked for 600 each of 303 and 308/7.62 on my first application and was granted both. For 22LR I put down 1500, again accepted without comment.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#16 Post by HALODIN »

It seems different firearms authorities treat this differently. This was how it was worded to me:
Where your FAC has authorisations stating ".308/7.62mm" this refers solely to 7.62mmx51 NATO as this is equivalent to .308 Winchester. 7.62mmx54R or 7.62mmx39 would have to be stated explicitly on your certificate for you to acquire a rifle in these calibres as neither is equivalent to .308 Winchester.
Demonic69 wrote:
HALODIN wrote: Just so you're aware, if you put .308/7.62, usually that only entitles you to .308 win/7.62x51 (NATO), so you wouldn't normally be able to buy something chambered in 7.62x39, 7.62x54R etc, although all authorities slightly differ.
That's what I put on mine, the FEO changed it to "7.62 rifle" and they're happy for me to have anything covered by that.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#17 Post by DaveB »

Blu wrote:DaveB, I was speaking with my mate in Auckland last night about the cost of reloading components in NZ and looking at some of the NZ web pages. Have to say that you folks down there pay through the nose for reloading stuff. Don't know if this website is typical of the costs, but jeez those prices!

Swings and roundabouts, Mate. Yes we certainly do pay more for shooting related stuff - in some cases a lot more (like NZ$199 - or about GBP 100 for AR 15 magazines that were bought wholesale in the US for less than 5 quid) but on the other hand, we have quite a bit more freedom where what we can own and shoot is concerned. In fact, compared to Canada, the UK and particularly Australia, we are a shooter's paradise.

Of course that can all change at the next election where an unholy alliance of Labour and the Greens :twisted: (both notoriously anti-shooting), are trying hard to get elected. (Fortunately if today's poll is to be believed, they ain't got a hope.)
Blu

#18 Post by Blu »

DaveB wrote:
Blu wrote:DaveB, I was speaking with my mate in Auckland last night about the cost of reloading components in NZ and looking at some of the NZ web pages. Have to say that you folks down there pay through the nose for reloading stuff. Don't know if this website is typical of the costs, but jeez those prices!

Swings and roundabouts, Mate. Yes we certainly do pay more for shooting related stuff - in some cases a lot more (like NZ$199 - or about GBP 100 for AR 15 magazines that were bought wholesale in the US for less than 5 quid) but on the other hand, we have quite a bit more freedom where what we can own and shoot is concerned. In fact, compared to Canada, the UK and particularly Australia, we are a shooter's paradise.

Of course that can all change at the next election where an unholy alliance of Labour and the Greens :twisted: (both notoriously anti-shooting), are trying hard to get elected. (Fortunately if today's poll is to be believed, they ain't got a hope.)
Yep I understand where you're coming from, just seems that with those prices, especially the price of firearms, the freedom you have there is beyond the reach financially of a lot of NZ's citizens which is a damn shame.

snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

Last time I applied for a variation for another 7.62x54r they upped my 54r to hold from 500 to 700 without me even asking! :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
ordnance

#20 Post by ordnance »

I don't get this hold and buy, I think the system in this part of the UK is simpler. Maximum authorized amount of ammo usually 1000 rds for each firearm.