AR Trigger & Firing Pin

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Home club or Range: Staveley

AR Trigger & Firing Pin

#1 Post by top »

Yes its me again, went to the range yesterday and tried some different ammo, the new trigger springs I put in are great, not perfect but a load better, the ammo I tried was SK, Black Eley & Centurion and ive had trouble with all of them, the firing pin is hitting the ammo but it is hardly making a mark on the casing, so I was going to change the spring that is on the trigger its self and leave the others, am I doing the right spring? plus I had a look at the firing pin and it doesn't look like it comes out very much, can that be adjusted or not?
sysreq
Home club or Range: CRPC

Re: AR Trigger & Firing Pin

#2 Post by sysreq »

I have a 15-22 with JP springs on the standard trigger and it can be fussy with ammunition especially Eley Edge (the black stuff) I was getting FTF & FTE all the time. But if I stick to cheap stuff from the club or CCI Mini Mags it is 100% reliable. So, I decided to leave my springs where they are and just use what I know works.

#3 Post by top »

Cheers mate, you might have a point there, it does seem better with the cheep stuff at the range, its just not as accurate, got some cci standed coming tomorrow ill see how they do.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#4 Post by Mattnall »

JP light springs (yellow ones IIRC) aren't really for 22LR. The LR needs a fair bit of effort to fire it compared to a cf (223 for example) and the JP springs often don't quite cut it.
If you have changed the springs and you're getting light strikes the springs would be the first place I'd look.

If you can find a brand that will fire/function reliably then stick to that, or change the springs for slightly stronger ones and see how that goes.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.

#5 Post by top »

Will do cheers mate.
John MH

#6 Post by John MH »

Mattnall wrote:JP light springs (yellow ones IIRC) aren't really for 22LR.
Where does it say that? The fact is the AR was never designed to be a .22LR in the first place.

Every rifle is slightly different, try swapping back to the original Hammer Spring to see if that helps and make sure that the firing pin is not broken and that its not gummed up with dirt and residue.

#7 Post by top »

How do you know if its broken, how long should it be.
John MH

#8 Post by John MH »

Take the firing pin out, if it's in two parts it's broken.

#9 Post by top »

Ive thought about taking the firing pin out a few times, just to give everthing a good clean but I keep loosing my bottle incase I cant put it back together.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#10 Post by Demonic69 »

It's an AR, if half of America can disassemble and reassemble it I'm sure you'll be fine :-) plenty of vids on YouTube if it gets hairy

I don't read my own signature!