Cabinets - sanity check, please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

zanes

Re: Cabinets - sanity check, please

#11 Post by zanes »

There is absolutely no way that that amount of firearms will fit in the cabinet you've linked to without scrapes, dings and "shut the door quick" type packing- in fact, they just won't. In my 4/5 gun brattonsound I've got a scoped .308, scoped 22RF and two scoped air rifles; that's uncomfortably full. However, bear in mind you can remove stocks to store actions in the safe- for some rifles that's dead easy (10/22, for instance)

You must have a rifle depth safe for anything with any type of scope or red dot; even my HW57 with a 4x40 scope won't fit in my shotgun depth safe unless it lies across it.

Have you looked at buffalo river or DJS products? They're both good manufacturers and might do a variation that suits your space.
Last edited by zanes on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
FencepostError

#12 Post by FencepostError »

zanes wrote:There is absolutely no way that that amount of firearms will fit in the cabinet you've linked to without scrapes, dings and "shut the door quick" type packing.

You must have a rifle depth safe for anything with any type of scope or red dot; even my HW57 with a 4x40 scope won't fit in my shotgun depth safe unless it lies across it.

Have you looked at buffalo river or DJS products? They're both good manufacturers and might do a variation that suits your space.
I thought the Brattensound 9 gun was a rifle-depth cabinet (though possibly not for 9 actual rifles...)

Will have a closer look at the bigger stuff.
zanes

#13 Post by zanes »

FencepostError wrote:
zanes wrote:There is absolutely no way that that amount of firearms will fit in the cabinet you've linked to without scrapes, dings and "shut the door quick" type packing.

I thought the Brattensound 9 gun was a rifle-depth cabinet (though possibly not for 9 actual rifles...)

Will have a closer look at the bigger stuff.
In brattonsound terminology you want an RL or RD series safe. The higher count ones just get wider, but the depth stays the same.
Last edited by zanes on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#14 Post by meles meles »

We'll take them there rifles into safe-keeping for you, ooman. We have a nice deep sanctuary that no-one has access to, and we won't charge (much) for storage.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#15 Post by HALODIN »

I suggest you mount your ammo safe on top of your firearms safe and bolt them together, this presumably gives you more floor space for a bigger rifle safe. My advice is don't scrimp on your safe for the sake of a couple hundred quid extra. I bought a 10 gun Sentry safe and it will fit 10 scoped rifles (depends on length of course...), loads of room.
FencepostError

#16 Post by FencepostError »

zanes wrote:In brattonsound terminology you want an RL or RD series safe. The higher count ones just get wider, but the depth stays the same.
Thanks - that's good to know. I'll try to find the internal dimensions of them for comparison.
meles meles

#17 Post by meles meles »

Have a word with them clever folk what made the Tardis...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

FencepostError

#18 Post by FencepostError »

HALODIN wrote:I suggest you mount your ammo safe on top of your firearms safe and bolt them together, this presumably gives you more floor space for a bigger rifle safe. My advice is don't scrimp on your safe for the sake of a couple hundred quid extra. I bought a 10 gun Sentry safe and it will fit 10 scoped rifles (depends on length of course...), loads of room.
I'm somewhat limited on height unless I remove a high shelf and lose a fair amount of other storage space (or move it and lose less).

Also concerned this increases weight on the same footprint on the floor-boards.

A bigger cabinet with a top-lock might be an option, but not sure how much ammunition capacity I'd get/need.
meles meles

#19 Post by meles meles »

You can never have too much ammunition unless you are sinking or on fire...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

FencepostError

#20 Post by FencepostError »

meles meles wrote:Have a word with them clever folk what made the Tardis...
I think I'll skip on that one. I don't think "Sorry, officer, the firearms are temporarily indisposed in a space-time rift" will cut it when it goes wrong...