Ruger old army and TS2 powder.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

bigfathairybiker

Ruger old army and TS2 powder.

#1 Post by bigfathairybiker »

I am loading 30 grains of TS2 black powder followed by a lubed wad and a round ball.
I'm using the wad to stop powder falling out whilst loading on bench and having been told that a lubed wad helps with cleaning.
The load provides reasonable accuracy at 25yards, but it produces a thud and hardly any recoil rather than a bang and kick.
30grns with a wad gets the ball softly compacting the powder/wad with the guns lever.

I did the same without the wad and the lever bottoms out on the frame and you get a big bang and lots of recoil... and guess were the ball went accuracy.

Is 30grns and wad too much or could it be the powder?

Mark
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Ruger old army and TS2 powder.

#2 Post by dromia »

If I am reading your post correctly it sounds as though your powder responds to compression. The wad is acting as a cushion, try compressing the powder before seating the wad and ball.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bigfathairybiker

#3 Post by bigfathairybiker »

The was I was using were quite tic and must be ting'd down by the bal.

:)

I'll be trying lots of things next time I'm down the range.

Mark
MrD

#4 Post by MrD »

When I bought my ROA, it came with the late shooters range box. He had been using 15gn Pyro and 15gn semolina with a round ball. This is what I used and it seemed to work well. After some research on Hodgdon's site, I tried 30gn Pyro with no filler. The bang, smoke and recoil all increased, but I can't say I found this to be any more accurate than the 15gn load.
Using the semolina is a scutter - both measuring into vials and loading the cylinders - so I am now using 10mm thick felt wads instead and am pleased with the results.

If your nipples are getting worn, then have a look at Treso ones from The Possible Shop in the USA. After moving to them misfires and caps falling off are a thing of the past

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/