From Czech Rep with love

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

From Czech Rep with love

#1 Post by froggy »

Happy new year guys !

No ... I did not enlist in the Donetsk People's Militia but after couple of weeks in the semi-tropical Bretagne headed of to Northern Bohemia. The idea was to have a nice 7,62x54 300 meters shoot so we decided to head-up for a great range in the "Krusne hory", a small mountainous part toward the German border.

Of course my Drag was coming and in addition couple toys were selected the day before with great anticipation, including at my request, a splendid Vz54 that I had been dreaming to shoot for ages. It is an extremely rare rifle produced in very small quantities (less that 3/4 thousands) from Mosin stocks & paired with a national low 2,bowl scope before the Czechoslovakian army adopted the Russian SVD.

The snow was such that we had to leave the vehicles and carry on by foot ... A bit worrying but we were so full of optimism and the hike was excellent anyway for finishing to clear-off the last traces of the previous night's fun. Eventually, we made it to the range. That when we started to be concerned :

300 meters ... we quickly realised that we had been a tad over optimistic ...
200 meters ... was not much better
150 meters ... well ...

"Kurva ... Na doprdele !" as the locals would say (I can't translate without getting into trouble).

So, never to concede defeat, when in any doubt... reach for the closest AK at hand and start shooting in the target's bad breath general direction.

Sadly , no Vz54 for me this time but still had fun :good:

BTW ... Those coming in 2 weeks time... do not forget your gloves 8-)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Christel
Site Admin

Re: From Czech Rep with love

#2 Post by Christel »

Crikey Froggy, what have you done to the wood on your drag to make it look that good, it is totally drool sexy.

Is that a Romak in the middle?

My sister reported snow in DK Saturday, all gone now.
fingerscrossed nothing here in the Wolds.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

froggy wrote:Happy new year guys !

No ... I did not enlist in the Donetsk People's Militia but after couple of weeks in the semi-tropical Bretagne headed of to Northern Bohemia. The idea was to have a nice 7,62x54 300 meters shoot so we decided to head-up for a great range in the "Krusne hory", a small mountainous part toward the German border.

Of course my Drag was coming and in addition couple toys were selected the day before with great anticipation, including at my request, a splendid Vz54 that I had been dreaming to shoot for ages. It is an extremely rare rifle produced in very small quantities (less that 3/4 thousands) from Mosin stocks & paired with a national low 2,bowl scope before the Czechoslovakian army adopted the Russian SVD.

The snow was such that we had to leave the vehicles and carry on by foot ... A bit worrying but we were so full of optimism and the hike was excellent anyway for finishing to clear-off the last traces of the previous night's fun. Eventually, we made it to the range. That when we started to be concerned :

300 meters ... we quickly realised that we had been a tad over optimistic ...
200 meters ... was not much better
150 meters ... well ...

"Kurva ... Na doprdele !" as the locals would say (I can't translate without getting into trouble).

So, never to concede defeat, when in any doubt... reach for the closest AK at hand and start shooting in the target's bad breath general direction.

Sadly , no Vz54 for me this time but still had fun :good:

BTW ... Those coming in 2 weeks time... do not forget your gloves 8-)
Is that a Cugir PSL in the middle?
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

You oomans really do need to re-evolve your fur coats. We guess the howlin' Wookie will be fine for the next shoot but maybe the rest of you could postpone until June? We could probably join you then...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Blighty

#5 Post by Blighty »

Oh my....... I've been looking for a VZ54 forever!
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

christel wrote:Crikey Froggy, what have you done to the wood on your drag to make it look that good, it is totally drool sexy.

Is that a Romak in the middle?

My sister reported snow in DK Saturday, all gone now.
fingerscrossed nothing here in the Wolds.
The middle one is a Cugir Arsenal PSL, Pusca Semiautomata cu Luneta model 1974 and is sometimes known in the States as a Romak III.
The Yanks also had a Romanian AK with a PSL-alike stock and single-stack mags that were called a Romak.

Tovarisch Yves......nice to see the SVD on active duty ussrflag

And is that a Yugo Zrak scope from a Zastava M76 on the PSL?.....definitely not a Romanian LPS scope.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
froggy

#7 Post by froggy »

have you done to the wood on your drag to make it look that good, it is totally drool sexy
I am the 3rd owner. The rifle was originally issued to a Com-block police force, which explains it saw very little use in the field. The second owner was a collector more than a shooter so it is all in its original finish the way it left the Izhmash factory :good:

Tovarish you are probably right about the scope. I'll check out in 2 weeks time.

Blighty. I have been told that most Vz54 were acquired by shooting clubs & modified over the years. Sadly, even in the Czech Rep those rifles in original condition with the original scope are very rare.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#8 Post by TattooedGun »

Good lord it looks cold out there...

I think I need to buy some warmer clothes...
Countryman

#9 Post by Countryman »

I was out there over the weekend. We got down to -8 C in the Mountains round Dubi on Saturday morning. This time of year -15/-20 would not be unusual.

I took my own and hunted boar.

Great country for all forms of shooting.
froggy

#10 Post by froggy »

Same parts, we were actually very close . What a small world ;)
How did you get on ?

I need to buy some warmer clothes...
I guess it was the same temperature as Countryman . I was wearing a normal t-shirt under a British army Norgi shirt, my Goretex & of course my beautiful "tactical" scarf (actually it's my wife but don't tell or people will make funny comments). We used those awesome Norwegian shirts instead of our issued F1. You can pick-up surplus ones for less than a tenner & they are worth every penny :good: