F Class - Bipod or Rest?

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
mullen7
Home club or Range: Clydevalley PC

F Class - Bipod or Rest?

#1 Post by mullen7 »

So I'm beginning to start putting together my build list for my custom Barnard action F class rifle.

I will be shooting F class open, and I'm not sure whether to go for a bipod or just stick with a rifle rest? I see people using both and getting good results with both so was looking for some positives and negatives to each? And some suggestions for good bipods and rests?

Ta Blair
Ovenpaa

Re: F Class - Bipod or Rest?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

If you are shooting Open class you have a 10kg weight limit all up. Use a bipod and this comes off the weight of the rifle, having said that a friend took a Gold a few years ago using a tactical bipod with a 7mm SAUM.

If you use a rest it is separate from the rifle so you can run to the full class weight however you also need to lug a huge great big rest around with you...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I shoot Open Class with a bi-pod and don't really feel at a disadvantage at club-level. But, there are bi-pods and bi-pods. Choose carefully.

If you're contemplating shooting with the GB F Class League then a good rest like the SEB NEO or Dolphin is probably a good idea.
mullen7

#4 Post by mullen7 »

I had been looking at the dolphin Trakker bipod, but also contemplating a rest, but after speaking to a few people, I feel I may go for a rest, the issue of having to carry it doesn't really bother me, we have a defender for carrying gear up to the 200m point, and the 500m is at the car park.
Matt
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by Matt »

I'd see if I could have a try with someone's bipod before splashing out on a rest, worth a go just to satisfy your own thoughts on the subject.

Ovenpaa's always very quite on this but he makes a rather splendid bipod too goodjob
mullen7

#6 Post by mullen7 »

Well I shoot off a mates Harris bipod at the moment on his Barnard Action f class rifle, but I feel it's a bit lack lustre sometimes. And I've shot off bags before aswell, think I'll probably go for a rest as I believe the rifles weight is going to be borderline anyway.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

One tip is weigh your rifle on a couple of scales, ideally calibrated and then 100 grams, subtract that from 10kgs and that is what you have to work with, that way you should never get caught out at a weigh in. Don't forget the bolt either!

Yes we do make some rather wide F Class bipods and at a good weight as well, I am not sure exactly how many GB Team shooters have them however it is a reasonable number.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

mullen7 wrote:Well I shoot off a mates Harris bipod at the moment on his Barnard Action f class rifle, but I feel it's a bit lack lustre sometimes. And I've shot off bags before aswell, think I'll probably go for a rest as I believe the rifles weight is going to be borderline anyway.
Not many gunsmiths can build a rifle even close to the 10kg weight limit - without adding lead!

To be honest, the Harris is a great bi-pod - but not for F CLass competition.
mullen7

F Class - Bipod or Rest?

#9 Post by mullen7 »

According to the smith I'm going to use, he reckons the rifle will be around 20lbs. 22lbs being the max. But that's funny money to me.