Red Oktober

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Red Oktober

#31 Post by Pete »

A couple of years ago, I shot alongside a lad with an AK47, a Russian made straight pull without a scope. He was doing very well with it, hitting a no 11 more often than he missed at 300yds. His Dad had a Dragunov with the proper scope............. there was some banter going on between them.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#32 Post by snayperskaya »

Pete wrote:A couple of years ago, I shot alongside a lad with an AK47, a Russian made straight pull without a scope. He was doing very well with it, hitting a no 11 more often than he missed at 300yds. His Dad had a Dragunov with the proper scope............. there was some banter going on between them.

Pete
Love the Dragunov......

how to screenshot on windows 7
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#33 Post by Pete »

It's a nice looking tool, and I've often thought about one, but that barrel is soooo skinny.............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#34 Post by snayperskaya »

Pete wrote:It's a nice looking tool, and I've often thought about one, but that barrel is soooo skinny.............

Pete
The barrel was designed with a thin profile to save weight, and the Soviet military manual for the Dragunov states that in order to maintain optimum accuracy the rate of fire should not exceed more than two rounds a minute unless combat conditions dictate otherwise.

To comply to the accuracy standards set by the Soviet military the SVD rifle with 7N1 sniper cartridges may not produce more than 1.24 MOA extreme vertical spread with 240 mm twist rate barrels and no more than 1.04 MOA extreme vertical spread with 320 mm twist rate barrels.

The accuracy requirements demanded of the SVD with sniper grade ammunition are similar to the American M24 Sniper Weapon System with M118SB cartridges (1.18 MOA extreme vertical spread) and the M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System with M118LR ammunition (1.27 MOA extreme vertical spread), both of these rifles were designed decades after the SVD.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#35 Post by Zilberbak »

Now wouldn't it be nice if there was UK version of the competition restricted to ComBloc firearms, but I would need dispensation for my VZ58 as it is in .223.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R