EU gun ban - its happening!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

Re: EU gun ban - its happening!

#91 Post by Mike95 »

Brexit is far too late for the numbers game...the immigration influx over the last 30 years from wherever, ensures that uk population will continue to rise by half a million a year...80 million within 10 years, 100 million within 25 years. The ONS have no idea how many are living in the uk. Add 10% to the guestimates and keep counting. The GP registrations and school registrations might give a reasonable estimate but there will be many more completely off the radar.
Gun bans will not stop lunatics with guns...viz the latest in Munich...an Iranian/German with a Glock and 300 rounds...meanwhile back on planet EU, the commissars want to ban rimfire semi autos and large capacity mags ..

Mike95
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#92 Post by Fedaykin »

dromia wrote: From my view point it is the rose tinted glasses wearing, shallow thinking remainers who are ridiculous and pathetically sad in their subservient and unimaginative rut driven view.
From my view point it is the rose tinted glasses wearing, shallow thinking leavers who are ridiculous and pathetically sad in their subservient and unimaginative rut driven view.
dromia wrote:Looks to me the problem with a lot of the remainers is that they are either too lazy or too afraid to embrace change.

As in all things there will be winners and losers but I firmly believe that outside the EU will have more winners than losers unlike it has been within the EU with more losers than winners , the EU has been failing this country and it is this I'm alright jack to hell with the rest of you that has led to this vote.

People who think there is going to be issues need to broaden their horizons, look beyond the failed EU, get off their arses and seek out new opportunities and/or reujvenate old ones rather than moaning about the gravy train handouts coming to an end.

The world hasn't stopped because we are coming out of the EU and some people whose vested interest it may be perceived as threatened just need to grow up, grow a pair, get out there, stop being so bloody negative and get on with it. No one ever said life was easy or fair.

Bloody research and academia, Benefits Street in gowns.
I am proudly a Europhile, I was deeply unhappy when the vote went the way it did on such a narrow mandate but I respect democracy and I am now rather taking the view when it comes to leave supporters "You broke it You own it".

I realise we sit on different sides of the debate here dromia, I have a good job and I work hard so I rather resent being labelled as lazy and lacking in a broad horizon. For me our nation is reducing its horizons and harking back to a time that never existed, why should I feel happy about my work and travel rights being reduced. I feel negative about that and no amount of "Growing a pair" will change that, this will now make it harder for me to work in Europe something that I have done in my career and wished to continue.

I will get over it and frankly it will hurt many working class leavers more than it will me.

In respect of academia this is a disaster, I have good friends who work in research and the contraction has already started for them. UK Universities and Researchers are already being locked out from projects. Research is worth billions to our economy, the EU paid out more to UK academia then we paid in and I do not see the magic £350 million pot of money covering the difference especially as it also has to pay for everything else the leave campaign promised.

I accept the Remain campaign lost and even agree that there has been some stupid things said in its name recently but that does not mean I have to agree with what happened or shut about it ... that is democracy.

My wider point is the lack of constructiveness and general abuse being slung in both directions by supporters of leave and remain, Remainers calling Leavers "Ignorant and Racist" whilst Leavers are calling Remainers "Juvenile Lazy whiners" is dragging our nation down. There needs to be a bit more respect from both sides, for me it is now about getting the best deal out of the Brexit negotiations. Let me tell you right now that Leave and Remain supporters are not going to like the outcomes of those negotiations, we will get a deal that will more than likely be an unhappy compromise between trade needs and migration concerns.

I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Fedaykin

#93 Post by Fedaykin »

HALODIN wrote:Ah now I understand, you're on the EU gravy train. I presume you're in the 20-35 age bracket as well?
HH1 wrote:I work within Higher Education / Medical Research and I know a LOT of my colleagues voted to "remain"..... now we have no end of uncertainty ahead of us with a great deal of work to maintain / establish collaborative links and funding..... to say that the leave vote has "thrown a spanner in the works" is to put it mildly .
Ah you used the phrase "EU gravy train" that means the research conducted using that funding is inherently bad.

The EU paid back to UK research more than we paid in for research by the UK.
Last edited by Fedaykin on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
Fedaykin

#94 Post by Fedaykin »

Strangely Brown wrote:
HH1 wrote:..... now we have no end of uncertainty ahead of us with a great deal of work to maintain / establish collaborative links and funding..... to say that the leave vote has "thrown a spanner in the works" is to put it mildly .
I think that's bo...cks to put it mildly, the future is looking better than it has done for many years, especially with Canada, Australia and New Zealand amongst many others wanting to do business with us.

I also voted for Sovereignty, Democracy and Independence................just sayin. :wave:
You forgot "IMHO", the UK makes money by acting as a gateway nation to the Single Market. We will now need to make separate deals with each of those countries. Those countries might give us a good deal but it will still be individual and not where the big money comes from which is the gateway nation status we currently have.

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#95 Post by dromia »

As a remainer you obviously will not see any benefits to leaving as your interest is met by what it seems to provide. That is why all you can see is bad about the result. Only time will tell, however if things do improve overall for the majority as opposed to the minority the EU provides for at the moment I suspect that this will be more a function of better politicians who have a genuine interest in the country and all of the people, rather than London south east bubble and popping that and having it have to refashion its self in a more benign way to the rest of the country might be no bad thing either, than the single act of leaving the EU.

I also find it very interesting how ignorant so many of the remainers are of the actual state of their own country, this is the "to hell with you Jack I'm alright" attitude in the UK that has also driven the leave vote. For all the remainers claimed "international" view it seemed a very blinkered one as they couldn't see that which was in front of their faces on their home ground.

The UK and Brussels response to the 2008 crash was at the expense of the vast majority of people in the UK and Europe, bail out their pals in the banks yet again rewarding failure at the expense of the people whose interests they are supposed to serve. Just look at Greece a third world country because of one of the EU's biggest failure the euro, ground into the Aegean dust by a brutal Merkel. Eight years down the line until the leave vote all we could get from osbastard was more and more cuts he was like an obsessive self harmer well all that has been turned on its head by the leave vote so once again result I say.

I think more people would have voted to remain if they felt that Westminster and Brussels was listening to their issues and working to help them but when tw@t cameron went and asked for nothing and came back with less it was the final straw for many of us. This isn't a black and white either or situation I and many of us leavers would be quiet happy with a renegotiated settlement that took cognisance and addressed the issues, the leave vote has but that squarely on the agenda for Brussels and Westminster and now it is up the quality of all the politicians and civil servants involved.

What I can say is I worked across Europe in the late sixties early seventies and it was a lot easier then than it was when I did it again in the eighties and nineties. Yes there were border controls and you had to get your passport stamped but there was no or little queuing so not a problem also working was a lot easier with almost no paperwork needed for most of the work I did.

Just because people work hard does not mean they work effectively. When I was in the world of work and any of my staff said that they were always busy I knew that what they were really saying was that they were finding the work difficult which was a function of them not being properly trained and supported or not fit for the job. If someone is having to work full on hard all the time in this day and age, and many have to, then there is something very wrong with the society.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#96 Post by Pete »

Fedaykin +1...........

Camoron should never have called the referendum in the first place. It was bound to polarise opinion in the worst possible way, and it gave the media a field day.
We pay these braying twats substantial sums to take these decisions on our behalf.....................it's what's known as parliamentary democracy.
And now as a direct result, we have May, who answers a perfectly reasonable question from Corbyn by taking the p**s out of him, as prime minister wtf , and Boris as foreign minister :o. And the braying and jeering goes on............

Pete

(an old guy.......)
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#97 Post by dromia »

Opinion was polarised long before the referendum.

May/Boris-cameron/osbastard no difference, as you say from the same stagnant gene pool.

However they do have a very different mandate from the electorate that is much better than the vacuous vested interest sh!te cameron osbastard paraded as policy.

Cameron had to be the worst Prime minister since the second world war at least. As you say he didn't need to have the referendum but he was that thick and out of touch with the country he was supposed to be governing that he never thought a leave vote was possible.

Will may and her ministers make a better fist of it only time will tell but one thing is for certain the government and the sanctimonious out of touch remainers have been given a good kick in the arse and that in itself is an achievement as the general election ballot box wasn't working as you got the same status quo incompetence regardless of who got in.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#98 Post by dromia »

Just an observation on immigration, personally I have no problem with people coming here to work, live contribute, assimilate and raise a family.

However it must be in a managed fashion and the country needs to know who, what and how many its populace is in order to plan and govern effectively, open borders deny us that ability, Open border is like the euro and instrument of a unified state and should only have been brought in when the european superstate was brought into existence. However Brussels wasn't confident that many countries would actually support giving up their sovereignty so they tried to do it piecemeal with the euro, open borders and such like and not surprisingly it has and is failing.

For all those who think that open borders is a good idea how many of you leave your front door open when you go out or when you are asleep at night? Not a lot I suspect because most of us don't want to run the risk of finding strangers living in our home when we return. Now Britain is my home and I don't expect the door to be left open by those I put in charge either. In saying that I do welcome strangers to my home but it is on my terms and I make a judgement about them on the information I have and when they call they knock. Not applying similar customs to your country is hypocrisy in the extreme.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#99 Post by HH1 »

dromia wrote: Bloody research and academia, Benefits Street in gowns.
That is a bit harsh!

I for one work really hard.... it is 1,043 days since Sunday 15th September 2013 (when I was over in Europe for work) and during that time I have only been away from work for one day (Sunday 12 October 2014) and that was to purchase snakes in Holland for work. When I say every day, I mean literally every day, Christmas, New Year all Bank Holidays. I work Monday - Friday (40 + hours) and I call into work Saturday / Sunday for a check around the collection...... I don't claim any overtime! Although I work in "Higher Education / Medical Research", my job is totally unique within the UK, seeing as I manage the largest collection of venomous snakes in Britain. I work in heated rooms (28C), cleaning, feeding and extracting venom from the world's most dangerous snakes..... I love my job and that is why I call into work even on my days off. I have not taken any holidays for 6 years.....

To compare me to those on benefits who are (possibly) too lazy to work is rather unfair.
Sim G

#100 Post by Sim G »

So travel didn't happen before we joined the EU? Overseas work didn't happen till we joined the EU? And nor did emigration happen till we joined the EU? Of course they didn't.

And how many venomous snakes do we have indigenous to the UK? One? It seems your unique trade is far more eminently exportable than an awful lot of us! And not being tied to 27 nations that don't have a "snake issue" could potentially see your expertise demanded in far more more many places, no longer hamstrung by over burgeoning bureaucracy.

If the only reason you and your colleagues voted to remain was because of the research grants ("benefits") as handed out by the EU, then dromia's metaphor is actually quite apt....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!