CSR Rifle Suitability

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
polemass
Home club or Range: NRA Shooting Club Bisley

Re: CSR Rifle Suitability

#11 Post by polemass »

Mikaveli...from 1999 NATO expanded East and ALL this "new" members are still using 7.62x39,7.62x54R and 5.45x39 too....but,what do I know... 8-)
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#12 Post by Mikaveli »

polemass wrote:Mikaveli...from 1999 NATO expanded East and ALL this "new" members are still using 7.62x39,7.62x54R and 5.45x39 too....but,what do I know... 8-)
But they're not NATO adopted cartridges.

Seems a strange / s*** decision to not allow more service cartridges in CSR.
leeroy7031
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#13 Post by leeroy7031 »

sclopetum wrote:
shugie wrote:Given that you support the rifle for a lot of the extensive course of fire, unless you are built like a gorilla, something long and heavy might not be ideal.
Yep that was my concern.

I think I will go with renting an AR-15

Thanks

Graham
First time out I'd recommend you use your own rifle... Something familiar. AI is probably best in practical optic but not mandatory 4.5lb trigger and scope 4.5 max. Also you'll be able to use a bipod.

Jan match is a mix 500m - 100m, while I use an AR 15 I have used my Remington 700 for the RBL matches, a little heavier but you'll be suprised how well you can do with these big rifles, just ask Ady and Dave who hold high positions.

A sling would certainly help.

Hope,to see you there next Saturday.
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
Mikaveli

#14 Post by Mikaveli »

leeroy7031 wrote: First time out I'd recommend you use your own rifle... Something familiar. AI is probably best in practical optic but not mandatory 4.5lb trigger and scope 4.5 max. Also you'll be able to use a bipod.

Jan match is a mix 500m - 100m, while I use an AR 15 I have used my Remington 700 for the RBL matches, a little heavier but you'll be suprised how well you can do with these big rifles, just ask Ady and Dave who hold high positions.

I thought the 4.5 trigger pull and 4.bowl max scope was just for the Service Optic class?

What's the difference between the two classes with the current rules?
sclopetum
Home club or Range: Magna Gun Club, 1066 Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by sclopetum »

Mikaveli wrote:
leeroy7031 wrote: First time out I'd recommend you use your own rifle... Something familiar. AI is probably best in practical optic but not mandatory 4.5lb trigger and scope 4.5 max. Also you'll be able to use a bipod.

I thought the 4.5 trigger pull and 4.bowl max scope was just for the Service Optic class?

What's the difference between the two classes with the current rules?
From csrshooter.co.uk:

Service Optic
a No restriction on slings
b Magazine resting is permitted, but no part of the wrist of the supporting arm may touch the ground
c Fore grips are prohibited, as are any modifications to the fore end, such as hand or sling stops, intended to facilitate an advantage with the support hand.
d Bipods are prohibited
e Trigger weight 4.5lbs minimum
f Optic sights maximum magnification of 4.bowl

Practical Optic
a No restriction on slings or rests
b Bipods may be used, but must remain fitted at all times
c Vertical fore grips may be used, but must remain fitted at all times
d Trigger weight 1.5kg minimum
e No restriction on optic sights

So I guess the AI would be practical Optic?
sclopetum
Home club or Range: Magna Gun Club, 1066 Rifle and Pistol Club

#16 Post by sclopetum »

leeroy7031 wrote:
sclopetum wrote:
shugie wrote:Given that you support the rifle for a lot of the extensive course of fire, unless you are built like a gorilla, something long and heavy might not be ideal.
Yep that was my concern.

I think I will go with renting an AR-15

Thanks

Graham
First time out I'd recommend you use your own rifle... Something familiar. AI is probably best in practical optic but not mandatory 4.5lb trigger and scope 4.5 max. Also you'll be able to use a bipod.

Hope,to see you there next Saturday.
I have used the AI for a mini practical organised by one of the clubs I shoot with. Our chairman organises and runs the Practical Shoot for the Police Sport UK event at Bisley in September, and we test the course of fire as a club event. The shoot is conducted at 300 and usually prone supported, but we have on occasion shot unsupported as well.

If I were to use the AI what's the best way to measure the trigger pull?

Thanks

Graham
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

if you didn't want to buy a gauge, the cheapest way i can think of is with a bit of paracord and an empty cut up coke bottle.
cut top off the bottle, make two holes just below the edge to hang it with paracord like a bucket, stand the gun upright, put the 'handle' over the cocked trigger and tie off to the bottle, fill bottle with water until the click, then weigh the water. retest to double check.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#18 Post by Mattnall »

polemass wrote:Check your optics and calibre first too,some ethnic cleansing is coming next season and only 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 only for SO class :bad: How hilarious....most of AR's has CIP proof for .223...
As long as your rifle can hold 10 rnds there will be a class to shoot in. It's hilarious that the definition of SO calibre/cartridge is conveniently misquoted;
NRA CSR and PR rulebook (awaiting approval) wrote: Service Optic

a. Calibre is restricted to 7.62mm (.308 Winchester) or 5.56mm (.223 Remington) or .303British.
Anything else can go in PO, historic or Irons.

OP, an AI would most likely be better placed in PO with its lighter trigger limit and bipod use, the greater magnification allowance will help at greater distances if you have a scope that goes more than 4.bowl. Besides it is something you are familiar with and presumably know its ways.

People get so hot under the collar about classes, there is very little difference between the scores of SO and PO, it's just like competing against like. There will be a class to shoot in if you have a suitable rifle (i.e. safe and can hold 10 rounds) so don't worry about it too much.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mikaveli

#19 Post by Mikaveli »

Why the calibre restrictions in SO?

It would make sense to limit the BR / boutique stuff, but can't really understand why the 3 common Russian (service...) cartridges would be omitted?

Seems unnecessarily exclusive to me.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#20 Post by Airbrush »

Mikaveli wrote:Why the calibre restrictions in SO?

It would make sense to limit the BR / boutique stuff, but can't really understand why the 3 common Russian (service...) cartridges would be omitted?

Seems unnecessarily exclusive to me.

Russian stuff is shoite that's why. green55 :run: