Pistol shooting - political

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Pistol shooting - political

#21 Post by Christel »

HALODIN wrote:We can either be victims or activists... your choice.
The third choice is to know the law. Contrary to what most shooters and the general public think we do actually have access to loads of weird and wonderful firearms. We do not have to buy a Remington .223 (example, nothing wrong with one of those) there are many other choices.

The type of pistol that was banned, others variants are available to shooters.

When the Olympics was on the cards, shooting did not take place at Bisley, it took place at a bespoke built facility that was after the event taken down again.
I heard all sorts of explanations as to why it did not take place at Bisley, not so sure I believe any of them, however society chose to spend money on a discipline with no lasting effect. Make it go away, that way the UK is not seen as supporting guns...
Duey
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#22 Post by Duey »

I never got the chance to shoot pistol, I actually got introduced to pistol shooting by a guy I worked with and got to shoot a 38 revolver, a 1911 9mm( I think ) and a 45 semi, I was all for getting a 45 long slide and then it all went pear shaped and I didn't actually get involved in shooting until 16-17 yrs back when I was introduced to deer stalking
Been downhill ever since
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#23 Post by HALODIN »

The British Shooting Alliance sounds very noble to me.

What we need is someone near or at the top of either BASC or the NRA to champion the cause. We need one of the bigger well established organisations to run with it and attract the other organisations, but it mustn't just be about .22 pistols. it has to represent everyone's interests, otherwise people won't buy into it. It has to be about progressing and safeguarding British shooting. It needs commitment, funding, lawyers and lobbyists.
GeeRam wrote:One voice representing all to co-ordinate, publicize and lobby.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#24 Post by HALODIN »

I didn't expect you to say that. Why are you advocating doing nothing and just accepting our lot? Where's your fight?
christel wrote:The third choice is to know the law.
Blackstuff

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

GeeRam wrote:
HALODIN wrote:It seems strange to me why someone high up within BASC doesn't champion this himself with BASC's support. We're back to the age old problem of having no single national voice.
Indeed.

wallhead
BASC are primarily a game shooting organisation that morphed from the Wildfowlers Association of Great Britain and Ireland (WAGBI). Restoration of 'proper' pistol shooting is one, if not the hottest shooting hot potatoes there is and would easily draw a lot of hostile attention and misguided public support against it. BASC currently enjoys a reasonably cosy relationship with the government and is unlikely to jeopardize that by taking on a project that the vast majority of its members have little to no interest in, unfortunately.
GeeRam wrote:
HALODIN wrote:If no single UK shooting organisation will stand up to champion British shooting, then ALL the British shooting organisations must form a coalition to further and protect shooting in this country. If all the following organisations pooled their resources we'd be on to a winner - BASC, NRA, UKPSA, NSRA, BSSC, SACS, CPSA. Exclude no one, however small and let them know we'll stand up for them if any aspect of their sport is ever threatened.
Exactly.

What we need is a federation to represent all shooting. Each of those organisation could appoint a representive from their organisation to the federation, plus I'd say you'd want one from GTA as well.

As someone that dabbles in the vintage/classic car hobby, what shooting needs is an equivilant of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.
One voice representing all to co-ordinate, publicize and lobby.
That's sort of what BSSC does/is supposed to do http://www.bssc.org.uk/ But they seem to be bordering on a 'convert' organisation rather than the shouty mouth piece that is possibly needed.
DVC
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#26 Post by GeeRam »

Blackstuff wrote: That's sort of what BSSC does/is supposed to do http://www.bssc.org.uk/ But they seem to be bordering on a 'convert' organisation rather than the shouty mouth piece that is possibly needed.
I'm guessing you meant to write 'covert', if so, that would be an apt description, as you're right it would appear to be exactly what they should be doing, but, clearly aren't....well not the up front shouty, lobbying, media bit.
I certainly never knew it existed.
Christel
Site Admin

#27 Post by Christel »

HALODIN wrote:I didn't expect you to say that. Why are you advocating doing nothing and just accepting our lot? Where's your fight?
christel wrote:The third choice is to know the law.
Re read what I posted, I am not advocating anything. Simply stating that as shooters we do not stand united and that society is not willing to listen.
BamBam

#28 Post by BamBam »

My MP is labour and she already said that she was in favour of the EU proposed gun ban, so not much chance there.
joe

#29 Post by joe »

Keep highlighting that pistols are legal in N.I and every were else in Europe ! Unfortunately the uk has probably out of all eu countries, the biggest irrational fear of all weapons !
Maby a start would be to get rid of the overall length that applies to section one firearms ?
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#30 Post by froggy »

But if it came to pass that we could have 22's stored in a club , the GCN would be silent for a few months , and then they would start a new offensive to have all guns stored at a club .

Why would it change from the existing "club" guns ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/