Latest fees consultation, Club fees increase £84 to £900

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Re: Latest fees consultation, Club fees increase £84 to £900

#71 Post by Gazza »

Survey done :good:
3bravo
Home club or Range: north cotes butts, HBSA

#72 Post by 3bravo »

I've responded to this survey and mentioned the costs of public policing bills at football matches.
As an ex p.c. I've policed Leeds Utd. and a Manchester team, the last game where I was able to check figures was £120,000.
In 2015 the public bill to the Met was £2,000,000, the figures are all available, which is the cost over and above fees paid for inside the ground policing.
Add on weekend policing in West Yorkshire where we council tax payers subsidise the licensed trade, and it's easy to show once again we're getting hit with the big stick.
If you think clubs should just shoulder these costs,then you are just burying your head in the sand,it's not about costs it's about banning all public ownership of any firearm, every time the costs increase and nobody complains it will increase year on year, until it just becomes the domain of the very rich.
The recent Tour de Yorkshire was policed entirely out of the public purse,every city or town marathon is policed from public subsidy.
Our sporting preferences are frowned upon by the liberal politically correct elite, every entitlement and right that can be taken away without protest makes it easier when the next populist campaign wants something else to control.
1984 hasn't gone away.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#73 Post by HALODIN »

Interesting insight, thanks.
glevum
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#74 Post by glevum »

Here is a link to a Met Police FOI response showing costs of policing matches and money paid by the clubs for the costs of policing the matches.

http://www.met.police.uk/foi/pdfs/discl ... 002515.pdf
artiglio

#75 Post by artiglio »

Not wishing to seem as if I condone the increases, I do not , but is there not a risk of blurring the issue with the policing argument.

The proposed cost increases are citing full cost recovery for the issue Club certification and amendments, which then allows the club to operate legally. In respect of other circumstances cited, Licensed premises pay a fee , I don't know if football clubs pay for council inspections, fire inspections, public health inspections etc etc, no doubt if these are chargeable they do.

Presenting the argument that the police do not charge for attendance outside, sporting events, pubs and clubs etc. Surely becomes another issue. To my mind that becomes a matter of the behaviour of the public/attendees and is beyond the pub/clubs control. (beyond refusing entry to known trouble makers). In the event of there being injuries/damage etc as a result of a licensed premise or club being negligent in its duties under legislation this may be taken to court by the relevant authority and the organisation fined or responsible individual imprisoned.
To invite full cost recovery for circumstances beyond a licence / permit holders control is opening a whole can of worms. Its effectively saying the shooting community should cover the police costs of Dunblane/Hungerford/Cumbria.
We've had multiple threads on the board over the years talking about the added responsibilities placed on clubs regarding record keeping to satisfy Police/Home office, should an incident occur and all these records are current and correct then the club and its committee/officers are in the clear, if they are not they stand to be hung ,drawn and quartered.
|As a result some individuals wish to protect themselves with overly tight interpretations of the rules/requirements and whilst clubs depend on volunteers to run them this has to be accepted unless others wish to put themselves forward and run things.
Perhaps one the current/ex police officers on here could , clarify my understanding as to how things work.
3bravo
Home club or Range: north cotes butts, HBSA

#76 Post by 3bravo »

I think all of our clubs operate legally and by the book Ryan, Hamilton, Bird, and others actions were not because clubs hadn't complied with the H.O. rules or because clubs weren't paying enough nor was it because the inspection of clubs wasn't thorough enough.
I am a member of 3 clubs as far as I am aware these clubs are well run and abide by the rules and pay their dues as required.
The proposed changes are purely and simply to price a particular sport out of the wider market, once that has been successful what is next, Angling, Sea Fishing, Archery! daft as it seems anything is a target for a particular elite with a grievance.
Using the argument of no subsidy from the public put forward by squires, many uninformed people, shooters included will accept this one sided propaganda, but the same accounting must be used for all public policing bills.
I don't do marathons why should I subsidise policing for that!
I am happy to subsidise hundreds of events and even foreign aid because that's what you do as a British citizen, I don't discriminate against cyclists, joggers or any sport that requires police manpower,
so why are we discriminated against. Our sport requires a small amount of manpower and time, we pay most of the bill a wee bit is picked up by the public purse.
I am fed up being a target and whipping boy and cash cow.
andrew375

Block the raise in HO approval fees

#77 Post by andrew375 »

"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Hrun
Home club or Range: PRPC

Re: Block the raise in HO approval fees

#78 Post by Hrun »

andrew375 wrote:Petition here.
This needs to be a site wide sticky for a bit..

If shooters do not work together, the next generation will not enjoy shooting as we do today.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#79 Post by HALODIN »

Signed.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#80 Post by Andy632 »

Signed again, and again & again!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.