Bushcraft magazine

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dougan

Re: Bushcraft magazine

#11 Post by Dougan »

Thanks for sorting out that mess of a post Christel - was in a rush to get down t'pub :)

Glad to see there are other Ray Mears fans here - And you're right James...Bear Grylls is a complete nob 'ed. I can understand why the scouts made him chief scout (to attract more youngsters), but I can't help feeling he already had a 'product range' in mind when he volunteered for it.

There are some amazing trips and courses advertised in the magazine (not cheap though) - including one where you go out to Norway..spend the first few days making your own knife and axe...then head off for a week in canoes to learn how to survive using just them and minimal kit. Plus others in desert and rainforest environments 8-)
Doz

#12 Post by Doz »

I thought Bear Grylls was a Russian kebab shop...
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

Bear Grylls??............... more like Bull Sh1t!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Dougan

#14 Post by Dougan »

Chuck wrote:Bear Grylls??............... more like Bull Sh1t!
:cheers:
Sim G

#15 Post by Sim G »

Chuck wrote:Bear Grylls??............... more like Bull Sh1t!

He may very well be the showman for his TV shows, but bullsh1t....?

At 20 years old, passes UKSF selection and serves with 21 SAS. Combat patrol medic and survival instructor. Parachute accident in Africa and it is thought he would never walk again, then, after extensive rehabilitation, becomes youngest Briton to scale Everest at 23. Circumnavigates the UK on a jetski to raise money for RNLI. Roes 22 miles, naked, in a bath tub, to raise money for a friend who lost his legs. The first unassisted crossing of the North Atlantic Artic Ocean in an open air RIB.

Paragliding over the Himilayas and Angel Falls, highest "formal" dinner party (25000ft), climbs the remotest unclimbed peaks in the Antartic, longest indoor freefall, take a RIB 2500 miles through the North West Passage....... all for charity.

Showboating, yes, bullsh1t? Shame there's not more bullsh1tters like him, eh?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sandgroper

#16 Post by Sandgroper »

I'm not a fan of Bear Grylls, Ray Mears is more to my liking and to my way of thinking.

However I have to tip my hat to anyone that has come back from injury the way Grylls has and has passed the Military courses he has. Even at my fittest (long time ago :oops: ) I would not have passed the UKSF test and that's just one thing he's done.

While I dislike the man's shows and presenting style, I've got to respect him for what he's done.

However, Ray would get my vote everytime. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sim G

#17 Post by Sim G »

Sandgroper wrote:However, Ray would get my vote everytime. :good:

When it comes to Bushcraft, Mears is in a class of his own! I watched a program when he was talking about Samuel Herne and the discovery of the Great North West Passage, I went and bought a copy of Hearne's diary on the strength of it.

So, stuck in the middle of the booines with a needle, a candle and a party balloon, I want to be with Mears....

A bar-fight in Bangkok, I want to be with Grylls!

(How come Mears never made "Chief Scout", or did he?)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sandgroper

#18 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote: So, stuck in the middle of the booines with a needle, a candle and a party balloon, I want to be with Mears....

A bar-fight in Bangkok, I want to be with Grylls!

(How come Mears never made "Chief Scout", or did he?)

RM has never been Chief Scout. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Scou ... ief_Scouts

From what I've heard RM is pretty slow to anger but when he's had enough - watch out!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sim G

#19 Post by Sim G »

Sandgroper wrote:From what I've heard RM is pretty slow to anger but when he's had enough - watch out!
Yeah, probably...... but the last bar-fight I was involved in in Bangkok, I don't want someone to ponder all the aspects! I need action and action now! If Grylls can eat elephant sh1t without gagging, he's my man!! :cheers: :goodjob:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

I just checked out Grylls on WIkipedia, on the face of it he appears to be an all round good guy, I wonder why so many seem to dislike him.

EDIT - Me included...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal