Spray back from moderator

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Spray back from moderator

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

how much gap between your barrel and the over barrel portion of the can?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
squatman86

#12 Post by squatman86 »

Thanks again all for your replies.

@dromia - muzzle threads are good as far as I can tell. Please see attached photos, and the embarrassing state of the barrel.

@Overpaa - I've read about rear bushes, how do I go about finding the right one for my set up? Thank you.

@bradaz11 - It looks to be around 1.5-2mm all the way around. See attached photos (difficult to get accurate photo)

Thank you.
Attachments
thread3.jpg
thread2.jpg
thread1.jpg
squatman86

#13 Post by squatman86 »

Gap between outer barrel and moderator.
Attachments
gap2.jpg
gap1.jpg
bradaz11

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

personally, first thing I'd try is putting a wrap of electrical tape round the barrel where the back sits, get it a nice tight fit, and see what happens then. obviously not a long term soloution, but gotta start somewhere.

I don't know much about these types of cans, but all they are doing is giving an expansion area for the gas to go into before being gently released to atmosphere. is there a ROF limit on these compared to more traditional end of barrel types? is it just getting too full of gas and it needs to go somewhere. on end of barrel ones, they just fill up and only way out is through the front. these obviously offer a 2nd path.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#15 Post by shoppe »

I would say that the mating face on the moderator is now not flat and or pitted by have any shots through it when it was not 100% tight. What does the shoulder on the barrel look like?
You could put some engineers blue on the shoulder of the barrel and screw on the moderator. Screw off the moderator and see how much of the blue has been removed. You could use a magic marker pen instead.if there is any of the blue left, it may indicate uneven surfaces.
squatman86

#16 Post by squatman86 »

@bradaz11 - yes I like the idea of the tape to get a seal to test if that's the issue, thanks for that. Apologies this is the only moderator I've owned and it came with the gun so I don't know a lot, what do you mean by ROF?

@shoppe - if I'm understanding the mating face and shoulder terms correctly, you might be onto something (see attached photo) looks rather nasty.

Thanks again.
Attachments
shoulder1.jpg
bradaz11

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

rof - rate of fire. IE how fast you're shooting. not even sure if it's a consideration for these silencers, but thought i'd throw it out there
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

By the look of the barrel it could be uneven mating surfaces resulting in a gap between barrel and the mating face of the silencer. That barrel needs tidying up.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is there soot on the barrel outer just behind the shoulder and thread after it has been fired?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
squatman86

#20 Post by squatman86 »

@bradaz11 - At most I'd shoot between 3-5 pretty slowly, then rest the barrel for 5 to 10 mins and do something similar.

@Alpha1 - I took it to a gunsmith today and when he put the moderator on he was detecting vibrations so not getting a snug enough fit, I'm sure when I tighten it as much as I can it didn't move. As it turns out there is pitting in the barrel and he said it will never shoot and recommended a new stainless steel barrel. Not sure if I'll be able to put that money into it, so it may be a scrap job and sell the working parts.

@Overpaa - yes there would eventually be a build up of soot in the area you queried.

On a bit of a downer today from the news, it's a hard lesson I've learnt with my first rifle. Thank you all for your time and responses.