ear protection

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Rockhopper

Re: ear protection

#11 Post by Rockhopper »

Army surplus Peltors. Think I've got three pairs in the cupboard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324822146483 ... Swx89iFr1n
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

I use custom fit guards with a passive valve. They are custom moulded in ear jobs. I got passive valves because they were a quarter of the cost of the active ones and I didn't have to worry about batteries or anything.
They work perfectly find for clays and fullbore shooting. I have a general conversation without problem but they offer great protection. The only time I don't use them is smallbore competition shooting where I prefer not to be able to hear conversations and other noises around me so I use total block ones for that.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Rockhopper wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:10 pm Army surplus Peltors. Think I've got three pairs in the cupboard.

These are a great budget option, I used them for years with full bore rifles and shotguns. Nice and slim fit so they don't interfere with mount and fold away small so they don't take up loads of room in your kit bag.
DVC
Shpagin

#14 Post by Shpagin »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 am
Rockhopper wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:10 pm Army surplus Peltors. Think I've got three pairs in the cupboard.

These are a great budget option, I used them for years with full bore rifles and shotguns. Nice and slim fit so they don't interfere with mount and fold away small so they don't take up loads of room in your kit bag.
Thank you both for your recommendations. I have bought some on the strength of them. Cheers
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#15 Post by Mattnall »

Shpagin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:21 pm I am new to shooting, so would value the advice of those of you with lots of experience. What sort of ear protection do you use?

I have only recently realised that electronic sets existed (when I went online), but am I right in saying that they do not protect your ears any more than passive sets? Is it simply that electronic ones let more benign sound through so that you can hear chat etc? I think when I am shooting I just want to concentrate on the shooting itself, so my inclination is to save my cash and just get passive earphones. Is that ok?

Are passive earphones all pretty much equal?
I use Peltors and have found they are great (and M3 have a very fast and efficient repair service should you need it).

But whatever make you use, they are not just for hearing chat and other ambient noise, they make it easier to hear range commands especially on a busy firing point.
Also, as an RO (it is part of my day job) I find I can often hear when a firer or firearm hasn't performed as expected even when there are several on the firingpoint, like misfires or even operating a bolt with an empty magazine. For me this is the main reason for using them.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Shpagin

#16 Post by Shpagin »

Thanks for the advice, Mattnall. It never occurred to me about hearing misfires. I see what you mean, and obviously in your professional capacity it makes an awful lot of sense to have a more sophisticated set.
Shpagin

#17 Post by Shpagin »

My army surplus Peltors have arrived and first impressions are good. Snug without being tight, noise-dulling, compact and neat folding. Tomorrow at my safety course we will know for sure how effective they are, but thanks Rockhopper. I am pleased.
Fenix1

#18 Post by Fenix1 »

I always carry a spare pair of electronic ear defenders on the range, much easier for new shooters to be safe with them. My main pair are peltor electronics and are excellent.
Rockhopper

#19 Post by Rockhopper »

No worries! My first pair came free so I just hung on to them. I’m not quite sure how I ended up with three pairs though….
I’m no fan of the electronic ones for target shooting as I don’t want to be able to hear people talking whilst I’m shooting. For clay or game shooting they are good though.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:27 pm No worries! My first pair came free so I just hung on to them. I’m not quite sure how I ended up with three pairs though….
I’m no fan of the electronic ones for target shooting as I don’t want to be able to hear people talking whilst I’m shooting. For clay or game shooting they are good though.
you can turn them off though...

I find electronic defenders, or even amiebt cancelling in ear plugs are much better than the basic though, as when I want to talk, I can, and if someone shoots, well I may miss a word using the ambient plugs, but my hearing is always protected. unlike using basic muffs where I might cock an ear off to hear something then i'm leaving myself exposed.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns