Varnish removel from stocks

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

Re: Varnish removel from stocks

#11 Post by Richo »

Thanks for all the replies, i ordered some Paint Panther so will see how i get on with jt, and no its for an old s*** stick thats been varnished (badly) in the past.
I do have a jungle carbine stoick thats been varnushed and looks odd so i will see how things turn out on the shotgun stock and might then try to return the carbine stock to a more military look.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#12 Post by FredB »

Steam.Removes I’ll finish and minor dents.
Fred
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#13 Post by FredB »

I don’t know how “Old” became I’ll when posted!
Fred
Richo

#14 Post by Richo »

Hi Fred
I understood what you meant, my tablet does the same thing, i have steamed out small dents in the past with success, i can see how steam would work on wax fytpe finishes but not on polyurethane varnishes far too hard.
I am lucky theres no dents or bruises in the wood just an awful varnish finish, will see how the paint remover works first.
Ian
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#15 Post by Mauserbill »

hello
Please give an up date on the Panther product when you have tried it out, I would be interested how it performs.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

Lightly sand to break the surface and bung it in the Dishwasher with tablet or powder of your choice, fast wash. Wipe dry when finished. Leave 24 hours, wire wool and BLO to your desired finish.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Richo

#17 Post by Richo »

The Paint Panther works a treat, as mentioned above a light sanding of the surface and a couple of treatments lifted all the old varnish which i just scraped off, i used a small brass wire hand brush on the chequered area (cheap on ebay), whats a Dishwasher!! i still use a bowl and brush to wash up, keeps your hand sift and clean.
So thanks for all the comments and advice going to give my No5 stock ago when i have the time.
Graham M

#18 Post by Graham M »

I like sift hands lol
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Itsfatty
Home club or Range: BCRPA

#19 Post by Itsfatty »

I recently refinished one of my old shotguns stock and fore end and tried loads of stuff to get it off but in the end I shot blasted it and it came up looking like new before I then coloured it.
Disclaimer though, you have to be VERY careful not to go to hard on the chequering as you can mess it up but I suppose that’s no different from hand sanding and defo gives better results
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#20 Post by Pippin89 »

Ovenpaa wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:10 pm Lightly sand to break the surface and bung it in the Dishwasher with tablet or powder of your choice, fast wash. Wipe dry when finished. Leave 24 hours, wire wool and BLO to your desired finish.
If that didn't come from you I would laugh at the thought of it. I've got to give that a go! My 8yo daughter got her first SG for xmas and wants to paint it. I've said she can when she has hit 10 clays with it. Something tells me she will be there sooner than I expected. When we get there I will give that a try.