Vermin shooting-what steps to take?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

Vermin shooting-what steps to take?

#1 Post by Meaty »

Hello,
I have been approached by a local farmer to help control vermin on his land but up to now I have only paper punched-apart from using the air rifle to take the odd rabbit for the pot and controlling the rats that hassle my chickens.
What steps do I need to take to make this a reality? as my ticket stipulates that I can only shoot on ranges that are owned or hired by my club.
The farm presently is cleared for rimfire and up-to and including .223. They already allows a couple of people shooting 12g and there was a concern by the farmer as to whether the Police would allow any more shooters to work the land? (is there a predetermined number of shooters that can shoot a bit of land?) He has said that he would give me a permission letter no problem, so that bit is ok, its just what I need to do and be aware of in the eyes of the law that I am a tad stuck on. The farm has a healthy population of rabbits, foxes, squirrels and muntjac so it has the makings of a good shoot.
Thanks in advance for any info.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: Vermin shooting-what steps to take?

#2 Post by M99 »

Firstly what do you propose to use? (Do you have a suitable firearm(s)

Then along with a letter of permission you simply as for a condition change, a simple letter will suffice - you would like added that:

The .22lr and sound Moderator be used for the shooting of vermin. (Hopefully it will come back worded like this: "on Land you have permission to shoot over" - in reality it will come back saying on Land deemed suitable by the Chief constable for the are in which the land is situated and that you have authority to shoot over - it may come back and name the land you specify - this is the worse of the 2 options)

You will also need the certificate conditioned to allow the purchase of expanding ammunition.

There is no charge for the change of conditions.

1-rabbits - no issues.
2-Foxes no issues - almost all forces will require a .22CF or above for foxes, some allow the .17HMR - but I would guess you don't have one anyway.
3-Squirrels - Don't go shooting these anywhere but on the ground.
4-Muntjac will need to be specified as deer on your FAC - some forces are quite funny about giving this to inexperienced shooters, even more so with a .22CF (Deer legal in England and Wales ONLY for Muntjac and CWD)

Just add the conditions for the larger calibre as above.

Make sure your permission letter lists the quarry species you can shoot - that way there will be no problem, should you get a deer conditioned rifle, shoot a Muntjac and them someone say "why are you shooting my deer!!

Mike
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Make sure that your public liability insurance covers you for such shooting, it may come with membership of a "national" body. If you aren't a member then organisations like the Gamekeepers associations, Scotland and England offer good insurance for a reasonable membership fee.

The police add it as a condition on your FAC.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#4 Post by spud »

good info there meaty, if you fancy a nights foxing youre more than welcome to come with me
ImageImage
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#5 Post by M99 »

dromia wrote:The police add it as a condition on your FAC.
Never seen that Adam?

Certainly not in Staffs, Cheshire or South Wales anyway - the only mention of insurance in conditions is with reference to target shooting and the ambiguous one many times debated across the internet.

Whilst not the cheapest for insurance I use and recommend BASC - they get their share of bad press - but they are the ones out there shouting the loudest about our sport.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

I've just opened the envelope with my FAC in it from the police as it was in for one for one variation, sent off to Northumbria on the 28th September and was waiting here for me upon my return from Scotland yesterday so a prompt turnaround for Northumbria, to quote you what is on it, and it is as you say. It is in relation to the use for target shooting condition. However I am almost certain that on previous one(s) it was a general condition on its own 'tween my target and collecting conditions, then again my memory is not the most reliable, will look see if I still have a photo copy.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#7 Post by Meaty »

Thanks for the replies so far and thanks for the invite Spud-when I get everything sorted and gain in confidence a bit I'll take you up on that.
I have a suitable rifle for the fox and munty, a Ruger M77VT in .223 which, admittedly has only been used as a range rifle so far but I have got used to how it shoots now and am sure it would make the jump to dual purpose admirably. I would need to add a mod to my ticket thou. As for the rabbits etc, I quite fancied using my BSA 1215-I am sure some might think me mad but its another one that I know very well, I know how it shoots at various distances and its so comfortable to shoot! Is the 1215 a bad choice? Failing that, there is a CZ something or other that a friend has for sale , I may go take a look at it.
Thanks for the mention about insurance, I will start looking into it as I am sure it would be looked at favourably by the powers that be, if I had the relevant insurance when my variation and paper work go in.
One more question-I know that HPBT's and the like are a no-no on live quarry but are all soft nose bullets considered "expanding" and therefore requiring a suitable condition on you ticket? Are there readily available alternatives (in .223) that do not require the extra condition or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Lots to learn!
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

Meaty wrote: or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Yes you are, you will need a condition to get suitable ammunition, not just for the sake of the legislation but also for the sake of the quarry. A proper expanding bullet with good shot placement goes a long way to ensuring clean kills.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!