M1 carbine straight pull

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Re: M1 carbine straight pull

#51 Post by rufrdr »

Sixshot6 wrote:
rufrdr wrote:Just picked up another one, a Quality Hardware receiver. Finish is worn but the wood is nice and the bore is perfect. Can't wait to try it at the range this weekend.

Cleaning kit appears to be gone? Was it gone when you bought it?
Yes the sling and oiler were missing when I got it. They are easy and inexpensive to pick up, there are a gazillion for sale on the internet.

This carbine was a gift from a relative so the price was right! I also was given a S&W Military and Police .38 revolver in worn but very shootable condition.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#52 Post by Sixshot6 »

rufrdr wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
rufrdr wrote:Just picked up another one, a Quality Hardware receiver. Finish is worn but the wood is nice and the bore is perfect. Can't wait to try it at the range this weekend.

Cleaning kit appears to be gone? Was it gone when you bought it?
Yes the sling and oiler were missing when I got it. They are easy and inexpensive to pick up, there are a gazillion for sale on the internet.

This carbine was a gift from a relative so the price was right! I also was given a S&W Military and Police .38 revolver in worn but very shootable condition.
gifted is always good, it was just a shame to see it not have the kit. My dad has often said that if the laws were right he's have a carbine, M1 garand, an L1A1 and maybe some kind of AR (caliber never specified).

You ever see any of the M1 Carbine WW2 optics for sale at all?
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#53 Post by snayperskaya »

froggy wrote:Nice family you have there ...
I rather like the look of that K98 :good:
I'll keep my pie hole shut with regard to the rubber Butt plate and "Scout" scope on that M44 Mosina....... :squirrel:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#54 Post by GeeRam »

DanTheMan wrote:
lasbrisas wrote:Last time I looked ITL had several, I love M1 Carbine and have downloaded it and using lead boolits so I can shoot it indoors.
Lasbrisas please share your load data as I'm hoping to use mine indoors too. I had to sell a couple of rifles and then bought the last M1 from ITL, 1944 Inland, shoots amazingly well out to 300yds and fits in nicely with my WW2 stuff.

Nice...... :good:

What's the scope on the SMLE...?
rufrdr

#55 Post by rufrdr »

You ever see any of the M1 Carbine WW2 optics for sale at all?[/quote]

Over the years I've seen the infrared 'snooper scope' kit for sale several times. The cost was multiples of what the carbine that it attaches to costs!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
DanTheMan
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#56 Post by DanTheMan »

GeeRam wrote:
Nice...... :good:

What's the scope on the SMLE...?
Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20, not a period scope unfortunately but makes it a seriously accurate shooter.
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#57 Post by lasbrisas »

DanTheMan wrote:
lasbrisas wrote:Last time I looked ITL had several, I love M1 Carbine and have downloaded it and using lead boolits so I can shoot it indoors.
Lasbrisas please share your load data as I'm hoping to use mine indoors too. I had to sell a couple of rifles and then bought the last M1 from ITL, 1944 Inland, shoots amazingly well out to 300yds and fits in nicely with my WW2 stuff.

Sorry just spotted your request now, it's a simple 5 grains of Vit N320, the same powder I use for the .357 Marlin. Comes well within our indoor range limit although recently someone of authority is questioning it because people don't class it as a pistol calibre so I said "define pistol calibre" as I have seen a pistol that fires .30 Carbine so I look forward to the future arguments.
PaulR

#58 Post by PaulR »

lasbrisas wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:
Sorry just spotted your request now, it's a simple 5 grains of Vit N320, the same powder I use for the .357 Marlin. Comes well within our indoor range limit although recently someone of authority is questioning it because people don't class it as a pistol calibre so I said "define pistol calibre" as I have seen a pistol that fires .30 Carbine so I look forward to the future arguments.
The NRA ruled it as pistol calibre years ago..........
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#59 Post by lasbrisas »

[/quote]
The NRA ruled it as pistol calibre years ago..........[/quote]

Ah great, does that relate to people using it in comps such as T&P 1 at Bisley etc ? is it written down anywhere as we have a new bod in charge of the range certification etc and he has started questioning it, it would be good to have some hard evidence.
PaulR

#60 Post by PaulR »

The NRA ruled it as pistol calibre years ago..........
Ah great, does that relate to people using it in comps such as T&P 1 at Bisley etc ? is it written down anywhere as we have a new bod in charge of the range certification etc and he has started questioning it, it would be good to have some hard evidence.
Just looked on the NRA web site to see if I could get any info' without luck. I remember the ruling was made back in the pistol owning days when one or two companies produced .30 M1 calibre revolvers.

I'm out of the country at the moment otherwise I would have rang them up but you could try contacting the NRA and asking the question:

Contact Details:
Please contact the NRA Firearms Liaison Section for advice and help on Tuesdays and alternate Wednesdays only on 07528 037221 or e-mail the liaison officer. mailto:firearmsliaison@nra.org.uk?subject=FAQ
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."