percussion cap to 209 shotgun primer conversion

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Primer

#1 Post by Primer »

I was getting some prices for a new blackpowder pistol from an RFD friend last night and he told me to look at A and A gunsmiths website (based in Skegness) as he has an account with them and while trawling their website I saw that they do conversion nipple sets to replace the percussion cap nipples to 209 shotgun primer nipples, has anyone tried these, if so how we're they ?

Are there any implications on using 209s with blackpowder as they will have a lot more umph and I have 1,000's of 209s due to having to deprime all the shotgun cartridges I buy to make the dummy cartridges, but not sure if this would effect cylinder pressure in a negative way?
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: percussion cap to 209 shotgun primer conversion

#2 Post by dromia »

Never had a conversion done as I have seen no need when ordinary caps work fine.

209 caps come into their own with substitute powders which can be harder to ignite than black powder, there are favoured by in-line shooters who use substitutes and especially if in pellet form.

My view is if it isn't broke then don't fix it, however in your situation with a "free" supply of shotgun primers then it might be worth the try.

As the feeling in my hands deteriorates it could be an option for me as the larger caps are easier to handle as I fumble with 10 and 11s.

Yes they are a bit hotter but the seem to work well enough in these guns.

Just check first that your actual cylinder will accept the 209 caps on the new nipples without enlarging the nipple cut outs.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#3 Post by channel12 »

I seem to recall that I saw this a while back on some American web site. In some states there is a separate longer deer hunting season for black powder guns. The shotgun primer conversion kit for long guns was to provide reliable ignition in wet conditions in the woods.

And oddly in our gun club shop somebody is selling a Ruger Old Army that came with a spare set of shotgun primer nipples.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

i've got an uberti 1873 with nipple conversions off a&a. so much more reliable than using no11 caps, which always seem to jam the action on my 1858. although i do use nitro in mine as its an easier cleanup and i can still see the target after 10 rapid shots.

i haven't noticed too much of a difference when using BP loads in it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

Does anyone know if an uberti new model army can use these?
Primer

#6 Post by Primer »

bradaz11 wrote:i've got an uberti 1873 with nipple conversions off a&a. so much more reliable than using no11 caps, which always seem to jam the action on my 1858. although i do use nitro in mine as its an easier cleanup and i can still see the target after 10 rapid shots.

i haven't noticed too much of a difference when using BP loads in it
How do they work as the picture on their website just makes them look like cups to put the 209s in, does it then have a cap to put over them with a firing pin in, as I've seen one on YouTube that someone has put on a blackpowder shotgun and that had a screw on cap with a firing pin in?
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

it depends on the model. generally his design can fit most nipples. just need certain threads/ height depending on model.
they are just cups for the 209's. simple but effective. they utilise the original cylinder as you are only using very small amounts of nitro powder.

he also does another type that use small pistol primers. this type uses a cup, which has a small screw in top that has the firing pin retained within.

some guns, like 1858's need the hammer to be reprofiled so it can hit the primer.

sometimes he has other 2nd stuff from anvil, with custom made cyliders, where you remove a back plate containing firing pins and drop 209's into the back of the cylinder ( A little like the cartridge conversion cylinders)

he will be able to tell you what fits what, think he is an uberti dealer, so should get them.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

Italian muzzle loading revolvers are marked "BLACK POWDER ONLY" for a reason. Those companies making the nitro conversions, such as Anvil and Kershaw Engineering, do not use the original cylinders. They manufacture new ones made from stronger steel.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Loosing the original plot here a bit.

As I read it the OP isn't wanting to shoot smokeless in his BP revolver he is just wondering about the nipple conversions so that he can use 209 shotgun primers with his black powder loads.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#10 Post by redcat »

Sorry, Adam, my reply was to the previous poster who indicated that he was shooting smokeless powder in a black powder cylinder.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.