percussion cap to 209 shotgun primer conversion

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: percussion cap to 209 shotgun primer conversion

#11 Post by dromia »

Not aimed just at your post Derek, as you say it was going astray previously.

Not an issue, just don't want people to loose sight of what the OP is seeking.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Primer

#12 Post by Primer »

Had a price back £65 for 6 but as was said earlier I would either need to drill, tap and fit a firing pin to the hammer or grind and re profile it.

Also available are upgraded normal percussion nipples at £45 for 6 and nitro proof cylinders at £395.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

So how are these nipples upgraded?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Primer

#14 Post by Primer »

dromia wrote:So how are these nipples upgraded?
Not sure, it was included in the email reply I had as regards my enquiry on the 209 nipples, it was a suggested upgrade instead of the 209 and required hammer rework, they just stated upgraded nipples 100% better performance than standard.
dromia
Site Admin

#15 Post by dromia »

I have enlarged their photograph and they look like Slix-shot nipples from the states with the holes, venturi, in the side. But their information is scanty in the extreme on their web site.

They are pricey mind and Slix-shots are cheaper from the states even with vat and duty added.

Little bit puzzled by the 100% improvement claim as original nipples are not that bad and work pretty well, it is just the nipple dropping in the colt designs that are the main issue people seem to have, it is a fault of the gun design but good nipples can help mitigate against it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Primer

#16 Post by Primer »

dromia wrote:I have enlarged their photograph and they look like Slix-shot nipples from the states with the holes, venturi, in the side. But their information is scanty in the extreme on their web site.

They are pricey mind and Slix-shots are cheaper from the states even with vat and duty added.

Little bit puzzled by the 100% improvement claim as original nipples are not that bad and work pretty well, it is just the nipple dropping in the colt designs that are the main issue people seem to have, it is a fault of the gun design but good nipples can help mitigate against it.
Yes Slix is mentioned in the email but I just thought it was a spelling mistake 8-)

I will see how I get on with the standard setup and may look at the 209 upgrade in the future just because of the large stock of 209 primers I have accumulated and will continue to do so.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#17 Post by redcat »

I have seen positive reports on the Tresco nipples from the states but don't know the price.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
dromia
Site Admin

#18 Post by dromia »

The Treso nipples using Ampco alloy are good a bit like Berylium but they do fit the US caps better. I used to use them 'till the Slix-shots came along on my colt copies.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Primer

#19 Post by Primer »

dromia wrote:I have enlarged their photograph and they look like Slix-shot nipples from the states with the holes, venturi, in the side. But their information is scanty in the extreme on their web site.

Adam

What websites are export friendly over the pond as looking at the Slix website they only list 3 distributors and only 1 of those does international shipping (desperado cowboy bullets) and a set of six is $60 roughly £43 without import duties?
dromia
Site Admin

#20 Post by dromia »

Maybe I got a discount for ordering four sets, two Piettas and two Ubertis. There was no shipping charge.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!