Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

#31 Post by Dark Skies »

Try standing ten yards from the target to minimize your opportunities to miss and see where your balls are going so you can aim off accordingly - that's also a good starting point.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Noodly

Re: Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

#32 Post by Noodly »

Ben Denise wrote:Cheers Adam, the plan is to get an explosives licence and build a box, but I wanted to wait until after my summer holiday and got the 777 to use until then.

In my continuing research on this subject, and trying to figure out a conversion from volume to weight (I already have a powder thrower and didn't want to invest in additional equipment, especially as a lot of my research has shown volumetric powder throwers can be inaccurate) I came across this handy conversion table which may well be of use to others: http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm.

It would seem my weighed charge is actually just under 25 gns by volume, so just under the maximum load recommended by Hodgson. On this basis I will try a lower charge and see if this improves accuracy. :)
Nice one.... that chart shows I've been putting the equivalent of 20 grains of black powder through mine... which incidentally I found to be the most accurate load for my revolver.