Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Hunter87

Re: Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

#31 Post by Hunter87 »

MistAgain wrote:
Hunter87 wrote:
1066 wrote:Not within a mile I would think. Factory .357 FMJ loads would give 5-700 ftlbs

A 148 grn lead bullet at about 8-900 ftps would be 250'ish ftlbs.
Thanks 1066 that's good to know I'm tempted by the stainless snub nose revolver but I'm struggling to convince myself that it's really worth the price.
Is it worth the price ?

Compared to what , should be the question .

Is the Uberti Siber Percussion Target Pistol worth over £900.00 ?

Could a 100% legal Smith & Wesson Revolver be worth over £2000.00 .

If you like something enough , and it does what you want , and you can afford it , it must be worth the price .
Compared to having £840 in my bank account! I'm just not sure about it, yes it looks modern and cool and doesn't have a stupid hanger sticking out of it but in the back of my mind I'm wondering how long the novelty will last before it just becomes tedious to load and maintain.
the running man

#32 Post by the running man »

U can get the powder speed loader.....with a bit of fiddling I'm sure one could fashion a shotgun primer speed loader and I'm also sure that a six bullet press could also be manufactured with a bit of thinking....not hard stuff really...u could reload a cylinder within a minute.....I'm guessing with all the above you could reload a cylinder in under 30 seconds...which is the real ball ache about these guns...becase shooting them is just like a cartridge pistol..
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#33 Post by bradaz11 »

the major faff with the reloading of them is westlakes press doesn't centre on the cylinders like the press kranks sell for it's muzzleloaders. this means that you have to turn, line up then press home.

I was going to make up one a bit like the type shown for that .22 muzzle loader pistol in another thread, where you have a bar with a pin in, for the cylinder to sit on (plus a ring for the base to sit on so the little pins out the back of the cylinder arent damaged). then a hinged arm at the end, with a section to bring you up and over the cylinder, then a round bar machined with a shoulder much like on westlakes press to ensure uniform seating depth, then the handle continuing on to meet up with the other on, plier like.
then all you would have to do is load powder, push a bullet into each, and run round it with the seater, rotating itas you are holding it up. and primer up. less than a minute...
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#34 Post by nunhead »

These are suitable for the "new" courses of fire becoming available.

We (South London Rifle Club and the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB) have included this sort of firearm in our OPEN MEETINGS FOR REPEATING PISTOLS at Bisley.
The next one (SLRC) is the middle weekend of the Imperial Meeting (alongside NRA ML and GR matches) - 15th & 16th JULY -- and scorecards are £5.
Classes for STANDARD PERCUSSION REVOLVER (i.e., El Cheapos + originals) one and two-handed , PERCUSSION TARGET REVOLVER (i.e., "Standard" + the costly specials + Rugers) one-handed only; FREE PERCUSSION (more or less anything except using laser sights!) and then MODERN MUZZLE-LOADER -- with sub-classes for "Patriot", nitro conversions of percussion revolvers and the "Alfa" etc. -- again, one and two-handed matches.

Courses of fire are all 20 shots (4 x 5) plus optional sighters:-
SLOWFIRE -- 3 minutes / series; TIMEDFIRE -- 1 munute/series; RAPIDFIRE -- 30s/series;
"BOBBER" (turning targets -- 5s faced, 10s edged) and "SURRENDEN" (against the clock).

Details etc from slrc (at) jimhallam (dot) eu

The Surrey Branch MLAGB Meeting is 10th September -- same format ---
surreybranch (at) jimhallam (dot) eu
or download from the Surrey Branch MLAGB website.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#35 Post by 1066 »

bradaz11 wrote:the major faff with the reloading of them is westlakes press doesn't centre on the cylinders like the press kranks sell for it's muzzleloaders. this means that you have to turn, line up then press home.

I was going to make up one a bit like the type shown for that .22 muzzle loader pistol in another thread, where you have a bar with a pin in, for the cylinder to sit on (plus a ring for the base to sit on so the little pins out the back of the cylinder arent damaged). then a hinged arm at the end, with a section to bring you up and over the cylinder, then a round bar machined with a shoulder much like on westlakes press to ensure uniform seating depth, then the handle continuing on to meet up with the other on, plier like.
then all you would have to do is load powder, push a bullet into each, and run round it with the seater, rotating itas you are holding it up. and primer up. less than a minute...
Just thought you might be interested to see my speed loader and ball press:
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#36 Post by bradaz11 »

That's really nice. I have a ' tower of power ' that needs to be set up properly with different plates etc. Or i could just make up one like that lol. Any good places too but that style of bolt/ clamp?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#37 Post by Sim G »

I like they ball press!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#38 Post by Ovenpaa »

..and I like the Speed loaders!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#39 Post by 1066 »

Thank you chaps... The speed loaders are made as an exact fit for my Rem .44 1858 cylinder but of course could be made to suit any calibre. The press can be adjusted to fit any cylinder, height, cylinder diameter and arbour pin can all be adjusted. The brass ram tip is screwed in and can be changed for different calibres.

I might make a short run of both these bits when I get a chance.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#40 Post by dromia »

If you do then Me! Me! Me! Me!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/