Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

#11 Post by 1066 »

SimonB wrote:
1066 wrote:
MistAgain wrote:Expect scores in the low 90's .

Herco is a good powder ............ if you can get any !
I think these nitro revolvers are becoming more popular, I've seen one or two lately.

Low 90's? Are we talking about one handed with open sights at 25 yards on a PL15 target or two handed rested off a sandbag with a red dot at 50 yards or something in between.
The comp I would shoot would be at 25 metres single handed unsupported on a PL7 as is used for most centre fire precision comps and if low 90's is the best that really would not be good enough. Perhaps I'm just recalling what used to be. (the good old days of upper 90's precision and a minimum of 297 / 298 on a PP1)
Well to be honest, that's what I was thinking - If the pistol couldn't hold the ten ring on a PL7 consistently from a rested position then it's really only a plinking, fun gun.

In times gone by, I spent a fair bit of time testing .32 target pistols/ammunition with a Ransom rest and a chrony at Stone Lodge. The accuracy of most of the pistols with little 4" barrels was amazing.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#12 Post by the running man »

I was always amazed at the results from.a ransome rest, I remember a colt gold cup with factory ammo all going through the same hole! And a mk2 ruger .22 all through the same hole...some guns even went through the same hole at 50m!

Just goes to show u get what u pay for and the nut on the butt is just as important!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
SimonB
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifles and pistol club

#13 Post by SimonB »

Thanks all for your opinions.As Scrooge in Oliver said. "I'm reviewing the situation". I guess I'm still remembering those halcyon days of handguns, PP1s. Service Pistol practical and 1500. Never been the same with rifles.

Thanks again

Simon B

thankssign thankssign
JammyGuns

#14 Post by JammyGuns »

Make sure they've got one in stock unless you're potentially prepared for a long wait. I ordered the 4 inch model off the dealer that advertises on gunstar and have been waiting for over 12 weeks now. I have heard separately elsewhere up to 8 months. I'm not saying that's common, I'm just saying that's the situation I'm in. On the good side Iv'e also heard/read nothing but good things about the newer models. Accuracy is apparently good and once you've got the technique down they can be loaded relatively fast.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

SimonB wrote:Thanks all for your opinions.As Scrooge in Oliver said. "I'm reviewing the situation". I guess I'm still remembering those halcyon days of handguns, PP1s. Service Pistol practical and 1500. Never been the same with rifles.

Thanks again

Simon B

thankssign thankssign
<cough>Fagin<cough>
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
JammyGuns

#16 Post by JammyGuns »

If you do get one check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwlrB2Y ... freload=10 Pretty cool.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

how much are valmont selling the loaders for? I've just bought them direct for the guy for £6 each?

although now sold my westlake

also, I keep hearing that the Alfa's are soon to be stopped as he can't get frames, so he is looking into having S&W frames made locally
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#18 Post by the running man »

Our two guys came back from him last week with two extra cyl each....they never said anything about that, they did say that they are flying out the door...

I must admit this is probably in my opinion anyhow the best product alan has put out...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by 1066 »

I'm always happy to recommend any work by Westlake engineering. I've know Alan for many years, I used a Britarms .22 competition pistol made by Alan and also shared a stand with him, selling the Targetmaster tricklers, for several years at the Bisley pistol events in the 1980's.

At the time Alan was busy slicking up revolvers by adding tiny ball bearing races to the hammers etc. (As well as coaching the National pistol squad, building replica Jags and restoring various old motors.)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
MistAgain

#20 Post by MistAgain »

bradaz11 wrote: also, I keep hearing that the Alfa's are soon to be stopped as he can't get frames, so he is looking into having S&W frames made locally
The problem seems to be that Alfa are working flat out to supply the demand from Canada and other countries who cannot get decent deliveries of S & W , Ruger and Taurus .

As for getting S & W frames made here , that would get whoever makes then slapped with a Cease and Desist order before the first one had left the machine shop.