Going for my Black Powder Licence

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Joe Pugh
Home club or Range: Merthyr Clay shooting, Work at South Wales 2000 Clay ground

Going for my Black Powder Licence

#1 Post by Joe Pugh »

Hi all,
My shotgun certificate is due for renewal so while I'm doing that I though I should apply for my explosives certificate.

Having filled out the forms I chose to start off with a limit of 1KG of black powder. That should be enough to start shouldn't it?
As I am new to this any advice or tips would be great. I'm not sending it off for another few days anyway.

As I'm doing this I'm also looking at a choice of guns I should be buying.
I was thinking about the 1861 springfield or 1853 Enfiled so a percussion gun. Are there any guns to avoid buying or any that stand out as beeing fantastic? Again I'm open to all sorts of ideas but just looking to see what people would of done if they started again from scratch.

Thanks
Joe
Miroku MK38 12G
Browning Maxus 12G
Ruger 10/22 .22
Marlin 1894 .44
Savage model 24 .22/.410
Lee Enfield SMLE 1918 .303
Mauser Gew 98 1916 7.92x57
Springfield 1903 1928 30-06
Mosin Nagant 91/30 1929 7.62x54R
Lost count now
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Going for my Black Powder Licence

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would say ask for 2 or even 5kgs, it is a maximum holding and I have a feeling they will just issue 15kgs anyway. You will need a box to keep the BP, you can buy them or make them and drawings/dimensions are on the internet.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

Do the police come and inspect the storage box prior to issuing the licence?

Also, I'm curious about the bit on the application form regarding destruction of unused powder - is burning it out in the open in small batches considered acceptable?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Dark Skies wrote: Also, I'm curious about the bit on the application form regarding destruction of unused powder - is burning it out in the open in small batches considered acceptable?
Genuine question; why would you do that? Does it have a ridiculously short shelf life?
DVC
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

They did not inspect when I first applied for mine however my FEO came out a few years later specifically to advise me the storage regulations had changed. I had a wooden box in place and he was delighted, apparently I was the only person he had visited who had such a box in place however he still insisted on giving me a copy of the storage recommendation. Nobody has ever asked to view my storage since however it is very obvious if you walk into the armoury. Mine is a large wooden box painted red with white writing on it and will probably hold 30kgs of powder.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Why limit yourself to a couple of pounds of black powder?

You can legally hold up to around 2 1/2 stone of all propellants anyway.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#7 Post by FredB »

For long term smokeless shooters moving into black---especially muskets---it can be a bit of a shock to realise how much of the black stuff you uses. There are 7000 grains in a pound, so if you use 100 grn in a musket charge, you have 70 shots. Go for more.
Fred
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Blackstuff wrote:
Dark Skies wrote: Also, I'm curious about the bit on the application form regarding destruction of unused powder - is burning it out in the open in small batches considered acceptable?
Genuine question; why would you do that? Does it have a ridiculously short shelf life?
Simply because on the application form there is a question regarding disposal that needs to be filled in.

In the real world you'd use it all up or perhaps give it to someone who had the paperwork etc. But reading through the application form it feels like there's a 'proper' answer they'd like to see.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

How strange. Thanks for the info :good:
DVC
Joe Pugh
Home club or Range: Merthyr Clay shooting, Work at South Wales 2000 Clay ground

#10 Post by Joe Pugh »

FredB wrote:For long term smokeless shooters moving into black---especially muskets---it can be a bit of a shock to realise how much of the black stuff you uses. There are 7000 grains in a pound, so if you use 100 grn in a musket charge, you have 70 shots. Go for more.
Fred

Wow now that you put it like that. Again I'm new to this so thanks for the advice everyone.

So what is the limit you can hold (in KG please) so I'm assuming something like 5Kg would be a more realistic option?

Thanks
Miroku MK38 12G
Browning Maxus 12G
Ruger 10/22 .22
Marlin 1894 .44
Savage model 24 .22/.410
Lee Enfield SMLE 1918 .303
Mauser Gew 98 1916 7.92x57
Springfield 1903 1928 30-06
Mosin Nagant 91/30 1929 7.62x54R
Lost count now