What's the damage likely to be?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: What's the damage likely to be?

#51 Post by Sim G »

Bloody hell, look at that hammer and nipples! The dealer said "nearly new"? It mightn't have s*** many balls, but the trigger's been pulled countless times!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#52 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:Bloody hell, look at that hammer and nipples! The dealer said "nearly new"? It mightn't have s*** many balls, but the trigger's been pulled countless times!
Probably fanned many a time in front of the mirror whilst doing the whole "are you talking to me?' thang
'Pew, pew, pew pew.'

Took it down to the club range today and it functions nicely. Unfortunately I only managed to get off six shots before people complained they couldn't see their targets and I had to cease. I got one on target and five total misses - suspect that tall front sight is causing me to shoot low at the moment.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#53 Post by Sim G »

Don't be too hasty with the file neither. Settle on your load that gives good groups first, the file to dial it up, do to speak.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Dark Skies

#54 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm trying to avoid committing to a filed setting if I can. Our club range is only 25 yards and I may well want to shoot at longer ranges elsewhere where the standard sight may be correct - even a stopped clock etc. etc.. I'm planning to get some red paint and just painting a dot on the back of the blade so I can 'look' through it on the target.

I'm starting off on 20 gr x volume of Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFG - I was told 25 gr might be pushing it a bit for our range's muzzle velocity / energy limit. I'll have to take a large bit of cardboard to back the target next trip and see where the misses are going and paint accordingly.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#55 Post by Sim G »

What are your range limits? Hodgdon data lists 20gns as producing 536fps for some 91ft/lbs of ME and 25gns of 777 giving 763fps for 184ft/lbs of ME...

Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#56 Post by Hrun »

Dark Skies wrote:I'm trying to avoid committing to a filed setting if I can. Our club range is only 25 yards and I may well want to shoot at longer ranges elsewhere where the standard sight may be correct - even a stopped clock etc. etc.. I'm planning to get some red paint and just painting a dot on the back of the blade so I can 'look' through it on the target.

I'm starting off on 20 gr x volume of Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFG - I was told 25 gr might be pushing it a bit for our range's muzzle velocity / energy limit. I'll have to take a large bit of cardboard to back the target next trip and see where the misses are going and paint accordingly.
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Arkans ... on#English

Work on a group before worrying about the point of aim, IMHO.
Dark Skies

#57 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:What are your range limits? Hodgdon data lists 20gns as producing 536fps for some 91ft/lbs of ME and 25gns of 777 giving 763fps for 184ft/lbs of ME...
Oh, well that doesn't sound too bad at all.
The handy chart they printed out for me (shortly after taking issue with my loosing off .357 Magtech Cowboy Action rounds) last year states the certification limits for our range are:

ME - 475 ft/lbs
MV - 1705 ft/s