Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

#11 Post by nunhead »

Don't forget that there are now COURSES OF FIRE for these, including 2 handed shooting. .... the next Open Meeting is run by the South London Rifle Club. ... Melville Range, Bisley. .. 15 / 16 July alongside the NRA "middle weekend" of the Imperial Meeting but MUCH cheaper !
Slow-, Timed- & Rapidfire plus "Bobber" (turning target ) & "Surrenden" (against the clock) ......
Matches for Standard Percussion Revolver (basic types), Percussion Target Revolver (one handed hold, allows more expensive types) & Free Percussion. ..... and THEN "Modern Muzzle Loader " ... separate classes for "Patriot " & smokeless conversion revolvers.

Download info from the MLAGB Surrey Branch website. They are running a Meeting at Bisley on 10th September.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Nice to see comps being brought up to date and promoted, however....

A couple of the Alfa Proj and Arnscor in our club. regardless of the dedicated revolver shooter I was pre 97, I doubt I'd ever put one in my cabinet, especially at the price. Quality was just horrid....!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#13 Post by Nelly2014 »

Sim G wrote:Nice to see comps being brought up to date and promoted, however....

A couple of the Alfa Proj and Arnscor in our club. regardless of the dedicated revolver shooter I was pre 97, I doubt I'd ever put one in my cabinet, especially at the price. Quality was just horrid....!
How is the Alfa quality horrid? Maybe the Armscor is a bit rough but the Alfa is based on the Czech company's 357 mag which is as good as any of the competition.
Like everyone else who owns and shoots the Alfa MLR I love mine and get nothing but praise and envy for it.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

Nelly2014 wrote: How is the Alfa quality horrid? Maybe the Armscor is a bit rough but the Alfa is based on the Czech company's 357 mag which is as good as any of the competition.
Like everyone else who owns and shoots the Alfa MLR I love mine and get nothing but praise and envy for it.

It may very well be Czech, but it's no CZ! It's a 600 Euro gun on the continent and a 400 dollar gun in North America. Roughly half the cost of a Smith or Ruger. That's the base gun, obviously. There's no doubting Mr Westlakes work, but as I've said before, "you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig, wearing lipstick..."

The quality of the finish of the base gun is sketchy, grips don't fit properly and don't take the side panel off, the tool marks on the inside and the rough investment cast internals certainly don't ooze quality!

They are popular in South America and South East Asia, but again, that's because of the price point. And remember, it's a European gun, so how is that price achieved? You love yours and good luck to you. Likewise, those that see it praise and envy it. Their point of comparison may not actually have existed for them, to have owned and shot extensively, Smiths, Rugers and Colts. But then I have, hence my conclusion.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#15 Post by Dellboy »

Sim G wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote: How is the Alfa quality horrid? Maybe the Armscor is a bit rough but the Alfa is based on the Czech company's 357 mag which is as good as any of the competition.

It may very well be Czech, but it's no CZ! It's a 600 Euro gun on the continent and a 400 dollar gun in North America. Roughly half the cost of a Smith or Ruger. That's the base gun, obviously. There's no doubting Mr Westlakes work, but as I've said before, "you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig, wearing lipstick..."

The quality of the finish of the base gun is sketchy, grips don't fit properly and don't take the side panel off, the tool marks on the inside and the rough investment cast internals certainly don't ooze quality!

They are popular in South America and South East Asia, but again, that's because of the price point. And remember, it's a European gun, so how is that price achieved? You love yours and good luck to you. Likewise, those that see it praise and envy it. Their point of comparison may not actually have existed for them, to have owned and shot extensively, Smiths, Rugers and Colts. But then I have, hence my conclusion.

seen them shot one and i thought they were very suspect ,didnt think they were well made at all but thats my opinion .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#16 Post by redcat »

I looked at one on Alan Westlake's stand at the Northern Shooting Show. While the quality of Alan's work is top class, the base revolver certainly is a long way off Smith & Wesson quality IMHO.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.