Accuracy

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Accuracy

#31 Post by 1066 »

dromia wrote:Allan I know the Ruger and the others could do 40/40 on a 4" gong, 'tis the shooter that is letting them down.

Sometimes I miss my Ransom rest.
I'm often amazed by the inherent accuracy of just 4 or 5 inches of barrel, especially when it's a revolver. A revolver just has so much against it from the start. Obviously the short sight base with open sights is the biggest problem, same with any handgun, add to that lining up six individual chambers with a fixed barrel with a very rudimentary locking system and making the bullet jump through "no mans land" with gas blasting off in all directions behind it.

The heavy hammer makes lock time painfully slow and triggers often leave a lot to be desired ---And they still shoot well.

I spent a good few sessions at Stone Lodge ranges (Dartford) with a Ransom rest and chrony, testing pistols and ammo, mostly .32 S&W Long semi-auto but some K38's and Manuhrin revolvers.

It would certainly be interesting to try accuracy just using a single cylinder, but again really need to eliminate the human element as much as possible.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#32 Post by dromia »

Aye some sort of machine rest is essential to minimise the biggest variable in accuracy, the shooter.

As always in shooting, there is the theory and the practice.

How often do we find that something shouldn't work according to the armchair theorists but time and time again the target proves them wrong. Revolvers are just such an example.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#33 Post by Sim G »

1066 wrote:
I spent a good few sessions at Stone Lodge ranges (Dartford) with a Ransom rest and chrony, testing pistols and ammo, mostly .32 S&W Long semi-auto but some K38's and Manuhrin revolvers.

I nigh on lived there!!! Life before kids and wife also working shifts, saw my mid week rest days "round the back" on ranges 6 and 7! And because we lived in Dartford at the time, the membership was cheaper as well! Unfortunately "Fat John" couldn't hold his tongue and the Met heard he was bidding on Milton Ranges in Gravesend when Dartford council pulled his lease after Dumblame....

Now that would have been an outstanding "civilian" complex!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!