First black powder rifle?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

acormack
Home club or Range: Pentland Rifle Club

Re: First black powder rifle?

#21 Post by acormack »

Hi everyone

I was looking at an early (1980's) Pedersoli Kentucky smoothbore percussion yesterday, in average condition and looks to be one of their kits finished off to a basic standard. Are these any good and is there anything to look out for, being a smooth bore I take it as long as there are no bulges or visible signs of damage on the barrel there isn't a lot else that could be or go wrong??

Any advice would be appreciated.
Alan
greenshoots

#22 Post by greenshoots »

fancy an inline ML

i have a traditions pursuit xlt lovely rifle with the capability of shooting 44/45/50 cal lead

greenshoots
Green by Design
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

As you say so long as the barrel is good and not pitted and the lock works then they are good guns out to 80 yrds.

Make sure the nipple comes out easily before buying and that the flash channel is clear, usually best to start with a new nipple.

You must get the right patch thickness for the ball/bore diameters and it will need to be driven hard for good accuracy.

Goes on a shotgun certificate usually cheap and excellent value.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
swotty
Home club or Range: FDPC & NRA

#24 Post by swotty »

I picked up an Ardessa Hawken rifle in .54 smoothbore for £150 with wad cutter and casting tool. It was a great gun but sadly I had to get rid of my firearms for a while and haven't found anything to replace it at the moment. It even got me 3rd place in a BP rifle competition against 2 and 3 band Enfield's!! Don't dismiss BP revolvers, I have an SAA which is one of my favourite firearms to shoot.
Dahonis

#25 Post by Dahonis »

I have an Investarm flintlock in .54 This is my first rifle in BP. I love it.
It does take a small while to get used to it. The lock time is a lot faster than some I have seen.
At 25m it will keep a group of around 1 1/2" to 2".
I'm that taken with it, I may even move away from centerfire for a wee while.