Idiot load

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Idiot load

#1 Post by Nelly2014 »

Somehow I managed to load my Alfa MLR with no powder but tight wadcutter and 209 primer.
I fired and heard a loud 'Phutt' instead of the usual magnum type bark. She it.
I took the cylinder out and found the wadcutter about 1cm into the barrel. She it.
After attempting to move it backward with a brass cleaning rod I realised the round wasn't going to shift and my brain was going mad thinking about how I was going to move this obstruction; melting the lead? drilling it out? and coming to the conclusion I may end up doing some damage to my favorite toy.
I have a compressor at home and considered using that to somehow blast it out.
Then I had an inspiration and loaded a primer and some powder from my mini-flask into a (luckily) spare cylinder. While holding cylinder so as not to spill powder then putting into frame I carefully moved it into firing position aiming down range and fired. Nice big bang.
It worked. All I've got to do now is get the other five wadcutters out of the cylinder, should be fun. Next time I'll check my cylinders.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Idiot load

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can blow them out with CO2 sometimes....

I would go with a primer and then knock them back out of the barrel with a suitably sized round brass bar and some caution.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

for the remainders take out the nipples and drive the bullets out with a suitably sized wooden or brass dowel ?
Nelly2014

#4 Post by Nelly2014 »

kennyc wrote:for the remainders take out the nipples and drive the bullets out with a suitably sized wooden or brass dowel ?
It's a Nitro Mlr, no nipples so either I'll blast them out with air or drill a hole and woodscrew to pull them out.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Nelly2014 wrote:
kennyc wrote:for the remainders take out the nipples and drive the bullets out with a suitably sized wooden or brass dowel ?
It's a Nitro Mlr, no nipples so either I'll blast them out with air or drill a hole and woodscrew to pull them out.
Maybe you need to find another hobby. Missing one cylinder yes all of them WOW.
davidh195
Past Supporter

#6 Post by davidh195 »

Chipboard screw into the bullet, some sort of levier "Ive used a tap-wench handle as it closes around the screw loosely" & something to levier over screwdriver handle ect. :oops:

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Dorset_shooter
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Dorset_shooter »

Alpha1 wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote:
Maybe you need to find another hobby. Missing one cylinder yes all of them WOW.
Not sure if he is just pulling the rest for “just in case”??

Or did the op really miss the powder from all of them??
tackb

#8 Post by tackb »

nipples out , trickle powder in , nipples back in prime and shoot them out
Nelly2014

#9 Post by Nelly2014 »

tackb wrote:nipples out , trickle powder in , nipples back in prime and shoot them out
No flipping nipples, I already said. aaarggh
Nelly2014

#10 Post by Nelly2014 »

Maybe you need to find another hobby. Missing one cylinder yes all of them WOW.[/quote]

Not sure if he is just pulling the rest for “just in case”??

Or did the op really miss the powder from all of them??[/quote]

I've got those plastic thingies that loads all six at once. I may have got them mixed up ****