Loading a BP Revolver

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Loading a BP Revolver

#11 Post by dromia »

The only accuracy issues I have with my BP revolvers using greased wads, powder and ball, is due to the incompetence of the operator.

The load and guns do their bit admirably.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#12 Post by Dark Skies »

When I first started out I followed the solemn advice of powder - filler - wad - ball - grease. That messy, time consuming, utterly futile procedure got old real quick.

Now I try and keep everything down to a minimum in order to speed things up. I used pre-measured powder in test tubes kept in a box of fifty (the plastic storage boxes intended for 30-06 rifle rounds work well). I load the cylinder off the gun in a press. Dump the powder in, lubed wad on top, press the ball home - repeat five more times. Cylinder back in the revolver, cap up and fire. I've nailed it down to a pretty quick time.

I used to make my own lubed wads up out of beeswax and tallow boiled up and then soaked up in wool felt. In the end I found white grease from motorcycle chain baths was easier and cheaper to soak into the wool felt.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#13 Post by Hrun »

I use a wad between the powder and ball. Stopped using lube as it just made a mess..
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#14 Post by daman »

I've recently started using wads instead of semolina. Big improvement.

I still use grease over the top, as I was taught to in order to prevent chain fire.

However having read this thread I may stop doing so.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#15 Post by Hrun »

daman wrote:I've recently started using wads instead of semolina. Big improvement.

I still use grease over the top, as I was taught to in order to prevent chain fire.

However having read this thread I may stop doing so.
I never understood the chain fire thing.. I have just pressed a lead ball into the chamber so tight it shaved a ring of lead.

The only muzzle loader I have seen fire 2 chambers was a nitro with issues with shotgun primer fit. The chain fire was from the back..
Doz
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Doz »

Hrun wrote:The only muzzle loader I have seen fire 2 chambers was a nitro with issues with shotgun primer fit. The chain fire was from the back..
The only one I've seen was a Colt replica with badly fitting caps - that was from the back too. Unfortunately for me it was in my hand at the time! Was much more careful in future...
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Yes the majority of chain fires come from flame entering the nipples.

It can also happen from the front with loose balls and messy powder loading, but with a tightly fitting ball, as it should be, then there is no need for grease over the chambers, or a wad 'twixt powder and ball.

The only purpose for any grease/lube in a black powder revolver load is to help keep the fouling soft.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ludders
Home club or Range: Marlow RPC

#18 Post by Ludders »

The indoor range I shoot at has a maximum muzzle velocity of 530MPS and a max ME 645. Fully loading a .44 would get close to the ME I think and use more powder. I do not use grease as it just adds to the mess but we are required to use wads. However this is a rule I follow simply to comply. If there is lead shaved off of the ball when it is rammed in there is no way the wad does anything useful being behind the ball but hey...
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#19 Post by Lancs Lad »

safetyfirst wrote:My top tip is cock the hammer with your non firing hand. I’ve seen more than one person with a slightly oily thumb send a ball over a backstop at 45 degrees!

:good:

:flag13: LL
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#20 Post by redcat »

If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.