Borrowing a Black Powder Revolver

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

AlieN
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

Borrowing a Black Powder Revolver

#1 Post by AlieN »

I've a question around the law in connection with shooting a Black Powder revolver belonging to another club member at a club shoot.

At a club shoot, many types of firearms can be tried by other club members, so for example, I am able to borrow and shoot a friends Marlin 1894 without issue. However, as I understand it, other firearm types, specifically long barrelled pistols, cannot be loaned to other members.

Are there any restrictions on the borrowing of Black Powder revolvers at a club shoot? I appreciate that this is a type of firearm that a HO approved club may own, but I also believe that there are additional requirements (explosives certificates) necessary to purchase Black Powder.

Is anybody able to provide some resources where I could look into this further?

AlieN
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Borrowing a Black Powder Revolver

#2 Post by dromia »

HO approved club members may shoot muzzle loading firearms, either belonging to the club or club members.

Long barrelled pistols and section 1 shotguns may not shot unless you have appropriate permissions for that type of firearm on your FAC.

You will need an explosives license to purchase and keep black powder, but not to shoot it at the range, there are also the substitutes which are treated as propellant not explosives and need no certificates but are not recommended for black powder shooting as they are no substitute for black powder.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
AlieN
Past Supporter

#3 Post by AlieN »

Thanks Dromia, good to know.
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

And Silverstone shooting centre are still advertising that you can borrow a club LBP to try out on their activity days. I suppose its okay if you have a slot but they don't mention that.
AlieN
Past Supporter

#5 Post by AlieN »

Sounds like I'm not the only one confused by this whole subject.
Mail2pete

#6 Post by Mail2pete »

Not sure what the confusion is. Read Dromia’s post.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
Dorset_shooter
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Dorset_shooter »

Mail2pete wrote:Not sure what the confusion is. Read Dromia’s post.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
Because not every police force / FEOs sing off the same hymn sheet.

We are trusting our local force and still falling fowl of the law, Dromia may well be correct but its hard not to follow the rules your local force are preaching!

Ive learnt trust no one.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#8 Post by Hrun »

Dromia is right as I understand it, but I will take a risk posting this publically..

As long as plod isn't stood on my shoulder I am happy to let members shoot my GSG1911. Junior member love having a go and the law doesn't allow for LBP pistols as they didn't exist.

The only way to encourage new shooters is to let them fire gins they do not own.. it is what fired me up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Hrun wrote:Dromia is right as I understand it, but I will take a risk posting this publically..

As long as plod isn't stood on my shoulder I am happy to let members shoot my GSG1911. Junior member love having a go and the law doesn't allow for LBP pistols as they didn't exist.

The only way to encourage new shooters is to let them fire gins they do not own.. it is what fired me up.
You are breaking the law if you are letting some one shoot your long barreled pistol if they dont have the authority to posses one.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#10 Post by Hrun »

Yup..