Borrowing a Black Powder Revolver

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Borrowing a Black Powder Revolver

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

Posting on an open forum that you are blatantly breaking the law with the club you shoot at for all to see in your Avatar is a pretty dumb thing to do all it takes is a phone call to your local plod and your club finds itself in a very sticky situation. If I was a member of your club or a committee person you would not be a member for very long.You are either very naive or pretty dumb. Your only saving grace is that may be a moderator will see this thread and delete it.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Borrowing a Black Powder Revolver

#12 Post by IainWR »

Not only may you be breaking the law (S3(2) Firearms Act 1968) but if you are, the borrower is also beaking the law (S1(1) Firearms Act 1968). There is a court case that puts the contrary view. In R v Wells (Mike Wells, of the Sportsmans's Association), it was decided (I think) that by lending / borrowing a Browning Buckmark (legally a very samll semi-auto .22" rifle) with shoulder stock attached, the transaction and subsequent possession did not become illegal when the stock was removed leaving just the "coathanger" butt extension. The case is unreported so I haven't been able to get a precise text of the decision, and as it's in a court of first instance it's persuasive at best. Personally I wouldn't risk it.