Black powder book

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

Black powder book

#1 Post by stuarta »

I have been reading Muzzle Loading Pistols written by Derek Fuller and found it very interesting and informative, can anyone recommend a similar book covering black powder rifles?
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

Re: Black powder book

#2 Post by legs748 »

From musket to metallic cartridge by oyvind flatnes is fantastic. The lyman muzzleloading handbook is rubbish and not worth the money. My two recommendations.
It was working when i left it...........
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

Paul Matthews books are good
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Didn't know Matthews did books on muzzle loading, what is the title?

All the ones I've seen and have of his are about black powder cartridge and shooting the 45-70.

Flatnes's is book glossy and quiet wide ranging but some of his approaches to certain things I would question, seems to me there is at least as much desk top research as opposed practical experiences so comprehensive in coverage but light on real practical content in some areas. I don't want to do Oyvind any injustice that is just how it comes over to me in my reading and my experience

Courtney's old books "Muzzle Loading Today" and its later version "The Modern Muzzle Loader" are excellent primers at friendly prices, they are long out of print but seem readily available second hand, I believe that the MLAGB may still have stocks available of the latter book.

Old classics like the "Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Roberts and the "Muzzle Loading Rifle Then and Now" by Walter Cline are excellent books from back in the day, of their time but full of interesting and insightful content from people who were true experts in the muzzle loading field. They might be harder to source nowadays and therefore expensive but well worth it if you have serious interest in muzzle loading.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
stuarta

#5 Post by stuarta »

Thank you all for your replies, once again I am amazed at the knowledge and helpfulness of members of this forum any????
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

"Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Roberts has been reprinted by Stackpole Books, and I think well woth a read
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#7 Post by ResearchPress »

dromia wrote:..... "The Modern Muzzle Loader" are excellent primers at friendly prices, ...... I believe that the MLAGB may still have stocks available
The Modern Muzzle Loader is still available via the MLAGB. See shop on their web site.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
stuarta

#8 Post by stuarta »

Thank you all who have replied, I am about to order Modern Muzzle loaders from the Association