What are these guns?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Enoughalready

What are these guns?

#1 Post by Enoughalready »

Hello all.

New member here. I used to shoot a BSA .22 smallbore at a local club many moons ago alongside my father with his Olympic model Anschutz. My father moved abroad 20 odd years ago to France along with his Anschutz but in his advancing years (86) the gun unfortunately doesn't really get to see any daylight.

I have loosely stayed in touch with a few of his old gun mates, many have gone but the odd one still around. One in particular was a funny old fella and saw me as some sort of surrogate son but unfortunately his health and mental condition hasn't been good. I have the task of sorting out his old stuff. He lived in one room of his house smoking pipe tobacco, a room I rarely went to. On his wall are four guns covered in grime and gunk and I have no idea what they are. I took some quick snaps but haven't touched them as yet. I have nowhere else to put them at the moment. They must have been there for over 40 years and I'm sure they are not anything special. These are not for sale btw.

Does anyone have any ideas? wtf

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_4458b.JPG
IMG_4457b.JPG
IMG_4456b.JPG
Enoughalready

Re: What are these guns?

#2 Post by Enoughalready »

More
Attachments
IMG_4461b.JPG
IMG_4460b.JPG
IMG_4459b.JPG
Enoughalready

#3 Post by Enoughalready »

More
Attachments
IMG_4464b.JPG
IMG_4463b.JPG
IMG_4462b.JPG
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

Absolutely no expert here but the top one looks something like a Tower pattern 1846 flintlock musket, the second one may be a rifle, judging by the flip up sight, also may be a flintlock converted to percussion, again 1800-50'ish. Third one is a back action percussion muzzle loading shotgun 1850'ish. Bottom one another percussion shotgun about the same age.

As I say, just a guess. Better photos will help, a close look at the locks will give a lot more information.

As with all old muzzle loading firearms - just check there isn't a hundred year old charge still in there - poke a rod down the barrel and see if it matches where the touch hole is.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by 1066 »

Closer look at the bottom one appears to be an early breech loading shotgun, possibly pinfire. 1860's
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Enoughalready

#6 Post by Enoughalready »

Thank you 1066, the top one has a very long barrel and I do understand that they need bringing down, cleaning to get better pictures. The room is not my favourite place to be! I hadn't thought about flintlock conversions.

Good point about ensuring an old charge isn't still in there. I'll go find a rod.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#7 Post by Triffid »

I'd be very careful to make sure you stay on the right side of the law. Possibly get an RFD in to take possession of them, then if they turn out to be live firearms requiring an FAC or SGC, you are covered.

Triffid
Enoughalready

#8 Post by Enoughalready »

Triffid wrote: Possibly get an RFD in to take possession of them, then if they turn out to be live firearms requiring an FAC or SGC, you are covered.

Triffid
Good point, thanks Triffid
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#9 Post by mag41uk »

Obviously dangerous assault rifles!
I think a couple of them are Glocks.
Run away,run away.............