Black powder dispenser/measure.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

Black powder dispenser/measure.

#1 Post by legs748 »

After getting fed up with measuring black powder charges out by hand I splashed out on the Lyman 55 black powder measure a couple of years ago and I'm really happy with it, but it has got me thinking.

All of the new generation power tricklers and one touch charge throwers look to be quite useful, but all seem to come with the "NOT TO BE USED WITH BLACK POWDER!" warning on them. Now, is this just fear of litigation? Is it a genuine risk of detonation? Have any of you heard of an actual accident? Do any of you regularly use a power or plastic powder measure with black and are still alive to tell the tale?

I'm not looking for recommendations or to upgrade but just wondering if it is all just over caution.
It was working when i left it...........
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Black powder dispenser/measure.

#2 Post by dromia »

I use Jeff Tanners dispenser and it is plastic and aluminium and uses the standard adjustable brass measure a la Belding and Mull.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Black powder dispenser/measure.

#3 Post by FredB »

I have the Lyman dispenser and also one of Jeff Tanners. For quantity filling of phials I use the Lyman device and, for lower volume activities such as filling Snider cases, I use Jeffs measure.
There are several U-tube or similar displays on the internet which show black powder undergoing a spray of sparks from a static discharge: the powder does not ignite.
The warnings on standard powder measures appear to be either protection against product liability legislation or they are to get you to buy another one.
Fred