Clarification please for new C&B from the learned....

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Clarification please for new C&B from the learned....

#11 Post by Dark Skies »

hoppo wrote:...
Have thrown my Pendesoli inline capper out as I'm fed up with the caps continually rolling on their side so you might want to try a couple of brands.
I think the Pedersoli inline cappers come in two widths - the wider one to accommodate slightly larger caps (for rifles / shotguns?).
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
hoppo
Home club or Range: Aldershot and Bisley

#12 Post by hoppo »

Dark Skies wrote:
Have thrown my Pendesoli inline capper out as I'm fed up with the caps continually rolling on their side so you might want to try a couple of brands.
I think the Pedersoli inline cappers come in two widths - the wider one to accommodate slightly larger caps (for rifles / shotguns?).
Its apparently the one for #11 caps, width seems ok, its the height thats causing the problem. It may be that ive just got a bad one, but the person I borrowed a different make off [CVA] had the same problem with a pendesoli. I'll stock up on several CVA when I'm over in the States at the beginning of the year [along with a load of other stuff ;) ]
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#13 Post by Dark Skies »

hoppo wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:
Its apparently the one for #11 caps, width seems ok, its the height thats causing the problem. It may be that ive just got a bad one, but the person I borrowed a different make off [CVA] had the same problem with a pendesoli. I'll stock up on several CVA when I'm over in the States at the beginning of the year [along with a load of other stuff ;) ]
On reflection I think it's for Remington No.11 caps. I use CCI No.11 caps and the Pedersoli inline capper I had used to let them flip. I have some slightly smaller ones from the same manufacturer and they're OK.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
jimbo303

#14 Post by jimbo303 »

Well, what can I say !

I have now had 2 sessions with my 1860. First was a full mentor shoot which is what I was after and the second was a few hours of the most enjoyable fun, still being mentored I might add - I can fully understand the attraction of ML Revolvers and BP firearms now !

No issues with Pyrodex P and only a couple of instances of caps jamming. First shoot was 4 cylinders and second was 8. I purchased my lubed wads from a colleague who is setting up a sideline in BP acoutremenets and I will post more on this later if permitted.

I soon developed the "Colt Cocking Flick" to the right and this stopped further cap jams. When I completed the 8 cylinders in my second outing there was no evidence of fouling and the cylinder still moved freely. Well done on his wads I say !

Found cleaning not an issue at all. Followed basics gleaned frOm the internet and from first hand advice on the Range. Yes it is a little fiddly but then again, it is a small amount of effort in relation to the overall enjoyment ! (Im sure some car nuts polish and clean far more than they drive ?!?!)

Now to get the group smaller !!!
J
Dahonis

#15 Post by Dahonis »

I started with a M/L New Model Army, I now mostly shoot only BP rifles.....much to the annoyance of other club members goodjob

Just something about muzzle loading!

Can't beat clearing a 25m indoor range :run:
jimbo303

#16 Post by jimbo303 »

Yet to have a go at my indoor range - was solely outdoors previously at a second club I have just joined.

Well with 24gr and 454 Ball it worked a treat - great fun and had the chance to experience some other ML firearms too !

Definitely want to explore the realms of ML more !!!
J