Ruger .45 Old Army Parts - Rare as Unicorn Plop?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Ruger .45 Old Army Parts - Rare as Unicorn Plop?

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

I have a slot for a .45 BP revolver on my FAC.
Originally put there as a place holder for a future purchase / variation.
A number of guys at my club have them and they've impressive accuracy, no question.
BUT as everyone knows they're no longer made and spares are machined from unobtanium.

I've seen quite a few on Guntrader going for not cheap money given new parts dried up around 2012 or earlier.
Given the amount that were made I was wondering if there were any commercial outlets that took up the niche market for making and selling new parts?
Would I be making a rod for my own back buying even the best condition example?

I've been tempted by a few but the thought of buying what may become a £500 paperweight has me erring on the side of a variation for another .44
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Ruger .45 Old Army Parts - Rare as Unicorn Plop?

#2 Post by FredB »

I act as armourer for my club. Lots of Old Army revolvers in use---nobody has ever had a need for spare parts of any kind.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I wouldn't think twice about buying another ROA, it is unlikely that you will ever need parts other than nipples which are readily available across the pond at least.

I did need a repaired loading lever once due to using it to teach a rather over enthusiastic tyro BP shooting, 'twas nothing that a competent gun smith on here couldn't sort.

Comparing their internals to the eytie copies is comparing apples and oranges.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

Cheers. I'll have another look at them then.
Dark Skies

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm torn between a nice stainless example with target sights and a nice blued steel example with fixed sights.
Both are lovely.

I was wondering how accurate the fixed sights are over 25 yards?
I have a Pietta stainless .44 Army with fixed sights and I have to aim off a good six inches to the right - that's my only reference point.

Is the Ruger's point of impact pretty much where you're aiming at that distance or require aiming off?

Everyone at my club have the target sight models so I have no way of getting some hands on feedback.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

The Rugers usually shoot pretty straight but adjustable sights are desirable on any gun that you care about whence the bullet goes.

Then again I far prefer blued to stainless so if 'twere me it would be the fixed sights option.

Of course the correct answer is to by both, then you can answer your own question. for us.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

dromia wrote:The Rugers usually shoot pretty straight but adjustable sights are desirable on any gun that you care about whence the bullet goes.

Then again I far prefer blued to stainless so if 'twere me it would be the fixed sights option.

Of course the correct answer is to by both, then you can answer your own question. for us.
Were that I could - I only have one slot available and I live in the TVP area. Now that I have to turn over the original FAC the six week variation time would be a hassle.

But I agree with you on the blued steel look. And I do like the simpler lines and the traditional 'old West vibe. Because I am a cowboy.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

I'm on my second ROA and only changed it for changes sake. Currently have a 51/2" fixed sights in stainless and my previous was an adjustable sight, stainless. The current will give nice groups to the pin to if aim, but inky because I messed around with loads and tailored it to the gun. Adjustable has an obvious advantage.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#9 Post by Triffid »

One possible consideration is whether you want to compete with the pistol. ROA's compete in the 'replica' class in the NRA/MLAGB competitions, rather than competing against original pistols. I seem to recall that there are different classes for fixed vs adjustable sights as well.

I've got one and love it! Had it for about 20 years without needing any spare parts.

Triffid
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#10 Post by FredB »

Unless things have changed recently, there is no MLAGB replica class. The classes are: Original. Spirit of the original and Free Pistol. The Old Army has coil springs and is not actually a replica of any original and so has to compete as a free pistol. This means that it is up against single shot pistols with set triggers and hence has little hope of winning.
Fred