Explosives Licence for Pyrodex

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: Explosives Licence for Pyrodex

#11 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:On the face of it, Krank’s are wrong.
I heard from someone its a cock up on the part of west yorks police? I don't see TJ macavoys or others asking for this.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#12 Post by meles meles »

Sim G wrote:On the face of it, Krank’s are wrong.

Well, they advertise bullets as "heads", so they do have form...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#13 Post by Lever357 »

They reckoned the police had told the regs had changed as criminals had got hold of Pyrodex and been loading cartridges with it.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

Lever357 wrote:They reckoned the police had told the regs had changed as criminals had got hold of Pyrodex and been loading cartridges with it.
can't see that, criminals can get hold of any reloading powder without a licence, thats partly why they are called "criminals"
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

That's exactly it. Either the local force or Kranks need a rather large dose of reality!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
jimbo303

#16 Post by jimbo303 »

If you have pretty much a monopoly on UK importing of many items then as a business that is some achievement.

But always be aware that the size of someone’s Catalogue often bears little relation to their knowledge of the contents of said catalogue or gives any credit to the knowledge and experience of their market.

Purchasing Pyrodex does not require explosives cert as a bought some today ! That is unless another highly regarded Gunshop is in flagrant breach of the law !
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#17 Post by Lever357 »

As an update to this, I telephoned Kranks last Friday and related the tale of my friend being told he needed an explosives licence to buy Pyrodex. "Yes mate, pain isnt it??"
But you don't need an explosives licence to buy Pyrodex
"Recent change in the rules says you do"
Well nobody else seems to know about it
"Yeah, just recent, more Government red tape, who knows where it will stop!!"
Errrr, well it hasn't startedbecause I think you're wrong. Pyrodex is officially NOT an explosive
"I know but new red tape and all that"
So is it your licencing department that told you that???
"Yes mate"

I phoned my local licencing department - there has been no change in the law - explosives licence not required.

My RFD friend rang today - he decided he ahd better put an application in for an explosives licence and his licencing department rang to say his application was declined - because you don't need one for Pyrodex!!!! So apparently they are contacting Kranks tomorrow.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#18 Post by Dark Skies »

So, any update on this? I see Kranks are still saying I need a license to buy BP substitutes on their website.

I looked on TVP's black powder license application form and see no reference to the numbers mentioned on Kranks' webpage. I'd have thought there would be some official mention of the need from my local firearms department but there is not.

I actually have a proper BP storage box so if I do need to have a a bit of paper then I'll be going for ALL the things including black powder. Currently TVP aren't processing applications though.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
jimbo303

#19 Post by jimbo303 »

I submitted my BP application the day TVP reopened for new applications last year, I had previously used Pyrodex for a Revolver but wanted to be able to shoot the "proper" stuff in my Enfield. All it took after completing the form was a quick visit by my very good FEO who checked the box, ran over storage etc. and my BP paperwork came through shortly afterwards.
All very easy and straightforward.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#20 Post by glevum »

Kranks have this page on their website:

https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/orderin ... d-why.html

It states

"You require a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate to purchase Pyrodex Powders or be a Registered Firearms Dealer. Refer to last section for ordering information."

No mention of an Explosives certificate required.

But for Triple 7 it states

"You require an Explosives Certificate with the UN number UN0499 listed in order to acquire and keep Triple 7. Refer to last section for ordering information."

So it would appear that now to buy from Kranks, you need an explosives certificate for UN0499 for Triple 7, but Pyrodex can be bought on production of your ticket.