Zloty Stok black powder.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Zloty Stok black powder.

#1 Post by dromia »

See krankies is now carrying this powder.

Tried few pounds of this Polish powder about four or five years ago and was not too disappointed.

From my tests in muzzle loaders and cartridges it fell betwixt and between Swiss and krankies nutty slack. (that is to say between the sublime and the ridiculous so a rather large performance difference space to occupy.)

Still "dirty" powder compared to Swiss but has much more energy than krankies coal. Loads were about 5% - 10% more than Swiss for the same velocity, I'm using that as a proxy for energy.

In cartridges it did benefit from some serious compression I seem recall.

Looking at krankies current price point it seems to be about right for what it is bearing in mind that I wouldn't use krankies coal if it was free.

Will I change? No except that I may use it for instruction to new ML/BP shooters using hadguns and I could find a role for it in my BP shotguns. For long rifles and brass cartridges I will stick to the tried and tested easy clean Swiss.

People who use krankies coal I would recommend that they give it a try, hell straw and nails do better than krankies own brand.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Zloty Stok black powder.

#2 Post by FredB »

I was told a while ago that kranks Medium is actually repackaged FO Triangle. I have noth Swiss and triangle and I can't tell any meaningful difference. I picked up some Kranks medium from a guy who is giving up BP. The granules look the same as triangle, but I haven't tried it yet.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Aye, and I've heard it is supposed to be the same powder as that which used to be sold as Col Farquharson's.

Regardless of it source it is really bargain basement powder.

Compared to Swiss there is a marked colour difference with the Swiss being a lighter grey rather than the blacker krank's, if sieved krank's is almost 20% finings or dust, there is very little granule difference in Swiss and little if no dust.

Upon use the krankies powder is extremely dirty and under powered compared to Swiss and worst of all the fouling bakes on hard, when I used to use it in my BP shotguns I was struggling to seat the wads after around 20 birds (that is only 10 charges per barrel) and it took ages to get the fouling ring shifted when clean as seemed impervious to soaking.

Still If you are happy with that good luck to you.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

dromia wrote:See krankies is now carrying this powder.

Tried few pounds of this Polish powder about four or five years ago and was not too disappointed.
Hmm, confirmation, if we needed any, that Dromia has a 'glass half empty' personality ...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dromia
Site Admin

#5 Post by dromia »

Enthusiasm is an exceedingly exhausting attribute.

Actually I am a half full person but my experience has shown me that expecting any manufacturers claim about its product to be so always leads to disappointment.

It is very saddening to live in a world populated by liars bereft of rectitude.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

FredB

#6 Post by FredB »

Is the glass half empty or half full? To an engineer, the glass is too big for the job that it is doing.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

My glass starts full and rapidly ends up empty, after a couple of dozen of these the jobs done.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

FredB wrote:I was told a while ago that kranks Medium is actually repackaged FO Triangle. I have noth Swiss and triangle and I can't tell any meaningful difference. I picked up some Kranks medium from a guy who is giving up BP. The granules look the same as triangle, but I haven't tried it yet.
Fred
Its interesting that you mention FO Triangle... when I read Dromia's first post I wondered where FO Triangle fitted on the scale...

When I bought my Pietta 1858 the dealer threw in a pot of it FOC so I've used that to start with... once thats gone I'll buy some Swiss.
FredB

#9 Post by FredB »

I have a stock off Swiss, but when it's gone, I am changing to FO triangle. All my tests show that it gives velocities between Swiss 2 and Swiss 3. It is definitely dirtier, but cleans out easily. I don't shoot a lot of BP but seem to have accumulated a variety of brands and grain sizes. My ambition is to standardize on one powder. I won my first BP pistol competition at Bisley in the good old days using FO triangle---it was the only powder stocked by Fultons.

Fred