Hodgdon 777 requires an explosive certificate.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Hodgdon 777 requires an explosive certificate.

#1 Post by dromia »

Just received this from my firearms certification department.

"Hello,

I write in relation to Hodgdon Triple Seven powder and pellets.

Enquiries reveal that Hodgdon Triple Seven powder and pellets have the explosive UN numbers of 0499 or 0501 - these numbers are not listed as exempt from having an explosive certificate under Schedule 2 of the Explosive Regulations 2014. This means that to sell this product you need to have an explosives acquire and keep (A/K) certificate with 0499 & 0501 listed, and to purchase from you, your customer needs a valid explosives acquire and keep (A/K) certificate with UN 0499 and 0501 listed.

I have conducted further enquiries with the Regional Explosive Lead and have been advised that unlike black powder there is no requirement for this propellant to be stored in a wooden box.

It is unknown as to whether there has been a recent change in the mixture of the powder/pellets which has led to it now being classified as either UN 0499 or 0501.

I have notified the HSE of this matter and they will be contacting the importer and conducting further enquiries however, it may be some time before we receive a response from them.

In the meantime, if you sell Hodgson Triple Seven and have been issued with an A/K explosive certificate please return the certificate to Firearms Licensing for update (no fee). If you do not currently have an A/K certificate and sell Triple Seven then you will need to apply for a certificate and pay the relevant fee.

Please advise any potential customer(s) that they need to apply for an explosives A/K certificate from the Licensing department from where they reside before they can purchase the pellets/powder (no fee).

I will advise you when I receive an update in relation to this matter.

Many thanks? "

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

Re: Hodgdon 777 requires an explosive certificate.

#2 Post by waterford103 »

How will this apply to those of us who already have tubs of it ?
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

We assume that's a hypothetical question, ooman, that you are asking on behalf of a friend...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#4 Post by waterford103 »

Of course It is , purely hypothingy. lollol
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

I think that will kill the sales of triple 7 in the UK. People only bought it as they didn't an explosive licence to acquire but it didn't offer any other advantages over blackpowder.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

But an explosives licence is free, the requirements are not exactly onerous, what is the issue?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by 1066 »

Ovenpaa wrote:But an explosives licence is free, the requirements are not exactly onerous, what is the issue?
Could it be that many ranges don't allow blackpowder, because of ventilation or other concerns, but will allow substitutes?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#8 Post by poll007 »

Ovenpaa wrote:But an explosives licence is free, the requirements are not exactly onerous, what is the issue?
It's still an extra hoop to jump though- and the process can take some time (eg i bought a revolver and applied for my explosives licence beforehand-ended up taking nearly 6 months to actually get it though the post-bought pyrodex in the meantime).

That and a lot of people wont know its free unless someone tells them and most would probably also assume you need the same storage as black powder or similar. ( and will the loca explosives officer realise they don't need the same level of storage?)

Assuming pyrodex can still be bought without an licence I'm guessing they will take more of a market share now.

Are there other common substitutes that still don't need a licence to purchase?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

Leaves a lot of people in the lurch and the police with a nice big backlog of suddenly required explosive certs. Whenever Covid-19 notices such as TVP's are lifted, of course.

"Coronavirus (Covid-19)

We are temporarily unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates. This is due to home visits no longer being possible. Renewal applications are currently still being processed. We’ve stopped routinely visiting certificate holders for renewal applications until further notice. "
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#10 Post by DaveB »

Does Pyrodex require a certificate?