Returning to Shooting after Many Years

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

glidingdoc

Returning to Shooting after Many Years

#1 Post by glidingdoc »

Hi Guys,

I last went shooting on a regular basis in the 1980s. I understand much has changed since then. Please could I ask some questions from you more recently experienced shootists?

1. Can someone advise me where to buy an extra tall shotgun cabinet. I would very much like to shoot a Perdersoli Brown Bess muzzle loader. It is about 60" long which means it won't fit in a regular cabinet. Do any of the manufacturers sell extra tall cabinets or do I have to buy something bespoke and expensive?

2. I have recently moved to Scunthorpe. ( Correction, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has moved me to Scunthorpe) Are there any shooting clubs near me? I would very much like to shoot clay pigeons and targets and generally join a group of experienced shooters who can help re-train me to be safe as well as acquire some new mates who won't talk work! I used to enjoy shooting .22 and .303 with the CCF at school.

3. I recall that all hand guns had to be handed in sometime in the the 1980's or 90's. Are muzzle loading pistols still allowed?

Here's hoping that Covid is soon over.

Steve Hopkins
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Returning to Shooting after Many Years

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome!

Helmswell Cliff is around 15 miles from Scunthorpe and is a 25 yard rimfire and centrefire range. Further afield is North Cotes Butts which has clays plus 25m, 50m a 100m ranges with the latter being a tube. I am a member of both clubs and they are OK. Reepham is straight down the A15 and around 45m away, from memory they are 75 yard and 25 yard ranges. I have shot there a couple of times.

For .22 only there is Keelby indoors which gets you access to the superb little Kirmington 100 yard outdoor range which is by far the nicest rimfire only range I have ever shot at and we will be back there when the days warm a tad.

Front loading revolvers are Section 1 and routinely shot at NCB and HC.

There are going to be more around however these are the ones I know and shoot at.
EDIT - I forgot to add, people simply drill a suitably sized hole in the top of the cabinet for such guns as the Bess!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Hi and welcome,

Brattonsound do their MT range of cabinets which are tall enough for longer barreled rifles and muskets.

A quick Google search should bring up places selling them.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Hello Steve .... welcome to FBUK! :good:

Have a look at Henry Krank and ask for a catalogue. They have a good choice of BP Muskets, pistols etc.

https://www.henrykrank.com/

#5 Post by 1066 »

Welcome Steve - and welcome back to shooting. I can't help much with the ranges, but I have visited Reepham, just NE of Lincoln who have a nice range.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Hello and welcome Comrade ussrflag

Ovenpaa wrote:
I forgot to add, people simply drill a suitably sized hole in the top of the cabinet for such guns as the Bess!

That’s what I did to get my two M91 Mosins in the cabinet, will need to drill another one, maybe two soon.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Welcome to Fullbore UK.